Author Topic: Sealing sinew backing  (Read 7734 times)

Offline RatherBinTheWoods

Sealing sinew backing
« on: July 11, 2017, 04:19:01 am »
I am just about to try my first sinew backing but living in the UK moisture is a problem for much of the year. I will be applying in the normal way with hide glue but wondered if a coating of titebond III over the top when its dried is an acceptable durable finish? Anyone tried it? I use this for rawhide and it works perfectly but I also glue that on with the titebond.

I won't be using it in the rain or anything silly like that but I'd like to seal it to some extent in case of unexpected moisture which is a fact of British life ;0)

I don't want to cover this one with rawhide of snakeskin really.

I have also considered beeswax, micro-crystalline wax, or danish oil which I use for the wood.

Or will any of these work?

Offline Stick Bender

Re: Sealing sinew backing
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2017, 04:48:48 am »
On my hickory sinew bow I used true oil & about 6 coats of poly I have shot it in the rain with no isues but store the bow at 50% RH or below when not in use
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2017, 07:59:20 am »
TB3 is waterproof. Id have to assume it would work just fine. A friend of mine sealed an entire bow with TB3 and it worked well.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline JonW

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2017, 08:06:22 am »
I use a mixture of pitch and lard.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2017, 08:07:29 am »
TB3 is waterproof. Id have to assume it would work just fine. A friend of mine sealed an entire bow with TB3 and it worked well.

Justin said something interesting many years ago about TB3.  He said that when he wanted to take a composite apart glued together with TB3 he would just throw it in his swimming pool for a couple days.  Don't quite know how that might relate to TB3 as a sealant but it was interesting
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2017, 08:25:17 am »
Thanks fellas, sound like it'll accept most finishes from this. Pitch is another one to add to the list.

I wonder if the chlorine or other pool chemicals has anything to do with it breaking the titebond down?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2017, 09:24:57 am »
Just about any sealer will break down after a few days of total submersion in chlorinated water. I think wood expansion and chlorine play a role in dismantling it. I think a bow used practically would be just fine sealed with TB3.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

mikekeswick

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2017, 10:08:16 am »
I've used sinewed wood bows and composites here in the England many times in the rain with no ill effects at all.  I shot the 3D nationals a few years ago and it poured down pretty much the whole time, both days. 80 r.h., with a composite horn bow. It showed no loss of reflex :)
No finish is totally waterproof but some are much better than others.
For wood/sinew bows I use tung oil. 5 coats total with the first coat cut 50/50 with white spirit and 2nd coat 75% tung oil/25% white spirit. Tung oil brings out the grain nicely, is very easy to apply and is a very water resistant finish. Only use pure tung oil with no drying agents added for best durability. It is very easy to re-apply and hide any scratches that happen over the years.
I've tried just about every finish over the years and tung oil is a strong favourite of mine :)

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2017, 09:00:51 pm »
ok I know this is not very primitive,, but a good indoor outdoor acrylic paint,,will seal a bow very well,, if you spray poly over that it is pretty rain proof,,, (R

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2017, 10:19:49 pm »
I sealed my Osage hunting bow with 2 coats of shellac and one coat of TBIII.  That was around 4 years ago.  The TB finish has held up well even after being exposed to rain while hunting.  It's not a pretty finish.  It's dull and hard to get smooth.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2017, 07:26:47 am »
Thanks for sharing your UK experiences Mike, makes me think it's not such a waste of time after all!
Osage Outlaw, that's good to know I think whatever I do in the end I will probably finish off with the TBIII (because I trust it from my experience with rawhide) or poly for the extra waterproofing.
Cheers

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2017, 10:31:40 am »
One twin oaks visit of mine while camped was rained on for 2 of the 3 days there off and on carrying sinewed bows with me.Very high humidity also I would imagine with no noticeable ill effects.Other like type experiences in the past here have proven the same also.I just use titebond 3 glueing the cover over the sinew and a multiple thin layered layers of lacquer finish over that.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2017, 11:35:20 am »
I'm going to do the deed tonight so I'll see how it turns out and how it shoots when dry. If it's good enough I might well decide to stick my snakeskins on it after all. Is a lovely shape for them  - like a Sudbury type smoothed off graceful pyramid just a bit shorter.
I'll post picks when done . Thanks for your help one and all

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2017, 12:34:58 pm »
I use Tru-Oil on sinew backed bows and a quick spray of satin poly to cut the shine. I've also used a thin coat of TBIII first then the Tru-Oil over that.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC