Author Topic: tanning squirrel skins  (Read 3174 times)

Offline BrianS

tanning squirrel skins
« on: July 04, 2017, 04:30:51 pm »
I tried a (new to me) product called Dixie Tan to tan these squirrel skins. Not sure what is in it. Smells like Sassafras and spreads on like mud. I was not too concerned with the tails as I will probably cut them off if I make the skins into little bags. Seemed to do a pretty good job. I guess time will tell how the skins hold up.

Offline Hawkdancer

Re: tanning squirrel skins
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2017, 12:58:01 am »
If the hides are pliable and soft when they are staked and stretched, you done good.  They should make nices pokes.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Ed Brooks

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2017, 09:33:49 am »
I just did a squirrel hide with Mayo, it turned out pretty good. Ed
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Offline Cade

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2017, 09:28:51 am »
I'm not really familiar with Dixie tan or any other commercial tanning solutions. Do you know if it will stay pliable even if it gets wet? Or do you still have to smoke it for it to stay soft like with brain tanning?

Offline BrianS

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2017, 03:11:27 pm »
I was not sure about the smoking part so I smoked them. Figured it would not hurt. Here is a picture of smoking the skin using punky birch in a ammo can stove and two little bags I made (still need to make a little toggle from a antler tip to keep the flap closed). Front is Dixie tanned squirrel and back and flap is from a brain tanned deer I did last summer. I made one for myself and the other as a gift to my Grandson (I am planning on putting a fire starting kit in his). I hope he likes it (His "Papa" killed the deer and squirrels, tanned the hides and then sewed up the neck bags).

Offline Adam

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2017, 04:35:08 pm »
Very cool!

Offline selfbow joe

• 1-812-344-1590
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2017, 06:00:42 pm »
Nice looking bags.

Offline chamookman

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2017, 02:57:54 am »
Nice Pokes  :OK ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline ksnow

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2017, 06:22:28 am »
Those are very cool.  I am sure he will be proud of his new bag, especially from "Papa."

Kyle

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2017, 07:35:25 am »
Nice very useful type bags.Gray squirrel hides are a unique color.Sorta like gray fox in a way only shorter hair.I always appreciate the looks and feel of fur and hides and the practical use of them.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed