Author Topic: Think this will work?  (Read 1930 times)

Offline upstatenybowyer

Think this will work?
« on: July 14, 2017, 08:20:08 pm »
So I've been brainstorming how to allow a roughed out bow to gain in reflex while drying but not allow it to warp sideways, throwing off the string alignment. Here's what I came up with...

I secured the stave to a thin aluminum bar that bends easily front to back, but not side to side. Think this will work?
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline DC

Re: Think this will work?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2017, 09:05:41 pm »
It may help but I'm thinkin' that as it reflexes it will be free to twist which may throw your alginment out.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2017, 09:35:29 pm »
Twist might be an issue.  Why not get a couple 2x6's and make some simple reflex cauls.  Clamp some roughed out green bows to it and see how that works.   
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2017, 11:46:35 pm »
Yeah, I am worried about the twist. I like the reflex caul idea, I just wanted to see what a "natural" reflexing-while-drying scenario would yield.
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2017, 11:22:34 am »
clamping it to a caul seems like a good idea (=)

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2017, 09:54:41 pm »
Yeah, I am worried about the twist. I like the reflex caul idea, I just wanted to see what a "natural" reflexing-while-drying scenario would yield.

Probably more reflex on one limb than the other, with a side of twist.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2017, 10:33:54 am »
I think upstate if you used C clamps at the places you used duct tape it could'nt laterally warp as bad.Just a thought.Might not be right.
I used to do that drying into a reflex a lot with elm years ago.Was'nt a natural reflex though.It was induced.On a 2" by 4".It still pulled out through tillering.
A person can't get it better with natural reflex.If it pulls out through tillering.I've seen it come back with a heat treatment on it's own.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline willie

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2017, 11:37:21 am »
I just wanted to see what a "natural" reflexing-while-drying scenario would yield.

wanting to leave it natural has some merit. Some staves go into reflex or deflex  immediately upon splitting because there is tension or compression wood differences inside the stave itself. Preserving this natural warpage might be useful.

On the other hand,  shape changing during drying most likely comes from drying rate differences. Although it happens naturally, it is part of the death process.  perhaps slower drying can minimize warpage and cell damage? 

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2017, 12:25:49 pm »
Adding reflex while a stave is drying works but not as well as adding it later with heat or steam. IMO
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2017, 07:09:34 pm »
"A person can't get it better with natural reflex.If it pulls out through tillering.I've seen it come back with a heat treatment on it's own." -Beadman

This is what I was thinking Ed. After I roughed out the stave, I floor tillered it just enough to get an even bend/thickness taper. At this point, the natural reflex seemed pretty balanced and I was hoping that If I could keep it from warping laterally, and keep the twisting to a minimum, any additional natural reflex the bow gained while drying would be more apt to keep it.

Every time I've clamped reflex into a green roughed out bow it has pulled out eventually.

Pat, I agree that reflex steamed or heated in after a bow's dry works way better than while drying.

Willie, interesting points you've made for sure.

Nigerian Proverb