Author Topic: Primitive Soap help?  (Read 4304 times)

Offline Emennis

• "In the long run, you only hit what you aim at"HT
    • Facebook Page
Primitive Soap help?
« on: July 06, 2017, 02:43:37 pm »
I'm hoping to make old school style soap, has anyone on here ever tried with making lye water from hardwood ash? I have yet to find good ratios for water to ash and then to figure how much lard I need to add later, or how long the wood ash needs to soak in water to get the desired strength. I had talked once about it with DVShunter at Marshall and he mentioned something about floating an egg? Any input would be appreciated. Thank you.

Also hoping to eventually sell at events along with my jewelry ;) if it all goes well. I've made other soaps before, but would like to do old school style.
The thing about archery is that everyone can do it and everyone can have a good day at it. You don't have to be an expert.

Tom Barker

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Primitive Soap help?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2017, 02:58:56 pm »
John(JWHalverson) sent me some deer tallow soap he made. get in touch with him.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline TrevorM

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2017, 03:12:57 pm »
I've been wanting to try this, but so far haven't done it. Check out countryfarm-lifestyles they have a good write up on the process.
Trevor

Online Outbackbob48

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2017, 03:43:51 pm »
Braintanners use lye for bucking at a ratio of enough hard wood ashes to float and egg to about the dia. of a quarter, 5 gallons of water just keep adding hardwood ash to strength you want, It will swell a deer hide in about 4 days if warm enough and hair and grain comes off easier, not sure if any of this helps in soap making, Lye at this ratio seems pretty strong to me for soap, Sorry could not be more helpful. :( Bob

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2017, 05:13:12 pm »
Before you get into making your own lye, do some reading up on the science of saponification.  One of the reasons lye soap gets a bashing (and often well deserved) is that without some seriously decent chemistry lab equipment, you cannot measure the strength of your home made caustic.  Not enough fat to the batch and you can burn yourself badly.

Make your first batch using store bought lye.  A five dollar bill will garner enough lye to make enough soap to last a couple decades, even if you are a slob like me. 

Also find your way onto several soap making forums, they are pretty helpful folks in those places. And google "lye calculator". 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2017, 09:56:55 pm »
I told you so!   :OK
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Emennis

• Facebook Page
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2017, 01:42:49 pm »
Thanks everyone for the info!

I have already been making batches of soap. Have done about 3 so far with the store(online) bought version of lye, have all the correct ppe, use the calculators, and have the books.

The frustration is that nowhere can I find a good ratio about how much hard ash to water you need. I did read that I will need to add sodium lactate to enable liquid lye to become more solid if I want bars rather than a liquid soap.

Here is a pic of a recent batch. Still just trying small scale, probably will start trying for more bulk in the future.
The thing about archery is that everyone can do it and everyone can have a good day at it. You don't have to be an expert.

Tom Barker

Offline DC

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2017, 04:10:18 pm »
Is it the PH that has to be right? You can get PH strips at your local Hot tub/spa shop.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2017, 07:48:48 pm »
Cool stuff, Emennis.  Sounds like you wanna take the next step backwards to a more primitive skillset.

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2017, 05:27:29 pm »
Cool stuff, Emennis.  Sounds like you wanna take the next step backwards to a more primitive skillset.

JW
E is cut from the good stock, the kinda folk you would enjoy
way smarter than me for sure
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2017, 11:50:36 pm »
Not sure if it is allowed to mention other publications, but M.E..News should have a good recipe
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Emennis

• Facebook Page
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2017, 07:57:31 am »
Not sure if it is allowed to mention other publications, but M.E..News should have a good recipe
Hawkdancer
Thanks I will check it out.

JW
Aww, thanks :)
Yeah, I have always wanted to do real primitive soap, since I was still in High School really.  ;D

Tom Barker

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2017, 05:42:18 pm »
Hawkdancer
Thanks I will check it out.

JW
Aww, thanks :)
Yeah, I have always wanted to do real primitive soap, since I was still in High School really.  ;D

I caught that bug from the Foxfire books when I was about 17.  I get it.