Author Topic: This 'n' That  (Read 3700 times)

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
This 'n' That
« on: July 06, 2017, 02:50:45 pm »
Am a bit bored so thought would post a few things been doing last few weeks. Now you'll be bored too.   ???

First, I need a different quiver. Well, more accurately, I want different quiver.
Have couple coon hides and Bubby/Beadman have given me some ideas on how to use them.
In meantime was browsing YT and came across some options for using pvc pipe as quiver. Not at all primitive but some interesting ideas. Here's what I came up with by combining couple things.

2" pvc. Dremel used to create some bamboo nodes. "Nodes" areas softened with torch and then squashed a bit to raise up node area. Torch used some more to add dark streaks here and there. Sanding deadened the white glare of pvc. Heated the full length in oven and squashed about 1/2 - 2/3 of it. Amber shellac added certain "patina". Lined inside with leather scraps and that seems to keep it quiet.
Old belt and 2-ply of leather thong comprise a strap.
New quiver!

I hand-sewed a lined bow sock. Carol predicted would be sooooo sorry didn't have sewing machine. She was (surprise/surprise) SOOOOO right! Got it done, though no pictures. But do have couple pictures of the bargain found shortly thereafter.

Sewed 4 more bow socks in less time than it took to hand-sew the one.
This machine can do umpteen types of stitches. I may use 3 of them.   :-\

There was one more thingy . . . but Imgur just informed me that they are no longer available for awhile. Sumpin about maintenance and something else I don't understand.

Have good day!!
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 06:00:10 pm by Knoll »
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: This 'n' That
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2017, 03:05:27 pm »
I thought the quiver was bamboo. You did a great job of with that.   Nice sewing machine. You'll get lots of use with it. Will it handle heavy fabrics and light leather with it?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2017, 03:25:07 pm »
Re quiver ... thanks! I was pleased with how it came together.

I have doubts re sewing machine and thick materials or light leather. But it was such a steal that couldn't let it slip away.
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline Patches

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2017, 03:27:10 pm »
Am a bit bored

Mike, How can you be bored.  It is after 12.  There is a mango Modelo callin your name, isn't there?

The quiver looks awesome.  Can't wait to see it in person. 

Neal
"You are never a complete failure as long as you can be used as a bad example..."

Offline bubby

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2017, 03:52:37 pm »
Very cool stuff mike, quiver came out very nice
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2017, 04:00:34 pm »
That is a nice job you did on the quiver Knoll. My neighbor is very good with a sewing machine. I always take my flags to her before I even raise them up the pole. She puts a special stitch in them and they last ten times longer than the stitches from the manufacturer.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2017, 05:27:41 pm »
Pretty cool, for an old guy 😁. I have some faux shearling if you want to pad the opening and bottom. Let me know.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline gifford

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2017, 06:26:59 pm »
Looked like bamboo to me, dang, you did good, real good. :OK

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2017, 06:36:36 pm »
Thanks, gents, for the kind comments.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2017, 07:12:39 pm »
Cool looking quiver
Looked like boo to me.
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2017, 08:09:24 pm »
That looks really good.  You did a great job making it look like bamboo.  I've been watching for an industrial sewing machine at auctions.   My mom can sew anything imaginable so I take my sewing projects to her for now.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2017, 07:04:01 am »
Nice quiver, you need to be bored more often turning out stuff like that. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline ksnow

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2017, 07:40:22 am »
Great job on the quiver.  Definitely looks like bamboo to me also.  Have fun with the sewing machine.  I have a super fancy one with the bells and whistles but I still go back to my 1950's era "made in Occupied Japan" Singer knockoff for most of my sewing.  That is when I am not sewing by hand, which I find much more relaxing than with a machine.

Kyle

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2017, 08:12:39 am »
I would of thought that was a bamboo quiver without knowing.Very nice job.That'll last a lifetime.A sewing machine around is a pretty handle tool to have.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2017, 05:42:27 pm »
Quiver came out great
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !