Author Topic: Goose Feather Questions  (Read 3093 times)

Offline upstatenybowyer

Goose Feather Questions
« on: July 06, 2017, 08:59:56 pm »
Hi folks. I'm very new to arrow making. Just discovered a great way to use my bandsaw for making shafts, so now I'm on to fletching. I found a bunch of Canadian goose feathers, which I've read are good for fletching but I have a few questions...

What's a good length for them?

Should I bleach them or anything to get rid of parasites/microorganisms?

Are there any other preparations that should be made to them before putting them on the arrows?

Thanks!
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline DC

Re: Goose Feather Questions
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2017, 09:12:20 pm »
I put them in a bag with a mothball. Wash with clear water maybe. No soap, you don't want to strip the oils. That's what's good about goose feathers.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2017, 09:45:35 pm »
I throw all of my feathers in the freezer for a week or so to kill any critters that might be on them.  Then I store them in a tub with borax on the bottom to keep bugs away.  I make my fletching 5" long.

I dislike the smell of mothballs as much as the bugs do.  The borax has worked well and doesn't remind me of my old English teacher like the mothballs do.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2017, 09:51:42 pm »
I usually cut feathers at 6" but strip 1/2" from front and rear for wrapping. This gives me a 5" fletch.
 I keep my feathers in the freezer for a while them in my basement frig. Lots of goodies in that basement frig.  :OK
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline ksnow

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2017, 07:15:20 am »
When I get feathers, I put them through a few freeze thaw cycles.  I put them in the freezer for a week, then out for two, and repeat that 3 times.  Then I store them in airtight tubs sprinkled heavily with borax.  The cycles allow any eggs to hatch, then the freezing kills the larva.  If the eggs are not allowed to hatch (the thaw cycle) the eggs will not die, just remain dormant.  I detest bugs that eat feathers, its pretty much all out warfare on them.  And like Osage Outlaw, I can't stand mothballs.

Kyle

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2017, 07:39:18 am »
That should work Kyle. I put mine in a bag with Borax to. I strip mine off the quill and like Pat I remove fletching from front and back half inch and wrap with sinew. I use a 4 1/2" fletching. Can't wait to see what you come up with.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2017, 11:12:15 am »
I store mine in an Ammo box and spray a dose of permetrin before closing the lid.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2017, 02:24:35 pm »
Goose are good Jeff.Not quite as stiff as turkey primaries but pretty good.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2017, 01:27:49 am »
I have mine in mothballs in the shed, but they did get a freeze, thaw cycle, or two.  Borax, as in 20 Mule Team Borax? Or is there another type out there?  I decided I am not real fond of mothballs, either, but this posted hadn't started when I got the feathers and mothballs together >:D!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline penderbender

• island life...
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2017, 08:04:17 pm »
That's the borax stuff hawkdancer. That 20 mule stuff. Cheers- Brendan