Author Topic: Aluminum for points?  (Read 2282 times)

Offline upstatenybowyer

Aluminum for points?
« on: July 06, 2017, 09:02:05 pm »
One other thing... I know steel is the preferred metal for homemade broadhead points, but could I use aluminum? I have a long bar of it that's thick enough not to bend or anything, but do points need to be a certain weight? I figured that might make aluminum a poor choice.

Thanks again!
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline DC

Re: Aluminum for points?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2017, 09:10:15 pm »
I wouldn't use it for day to day arrows. I'm using mild steel and they round over pretty quick. I'm gradually changing to carbon steel. Oh, wait, you said broadhead. I'd still say no.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2017, 09:53:38 pm »
Aluminum is too soft for a broadhead. Might work for target but not for hunting. 
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Peacebow_Coos

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2017, 10:26:01 pm »
Only if you don't miss  :o

Offline loon

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2017, 12:36:27 am »
Maybe for blunts. Well, copper, bone and wood have been used for broadheads, so... but is it really worth the effort over steel? seems like hardness is similar to copper but it's way lighter (~2.7 g/cm^3 vs ~9 g/cm^3) - still depends on the alloy and stuff

Offline sleek

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2017, 01:22:11 am »
There are ways to harden aluminum. We do it all the time in aviation. Most common js a method called flap peening. It just beats the metal until its hard.  Apparantly aluminum likes it. Its just a method of work hardening.  Also look into aging process for al hardening.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline loon

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2017, 01:25:51 am »
The density of aluminum seems very close to that of glass and stone.