Author Topic: MOJAM RECIPES  (Read 4087 times)

Offline little bear

MOJAM RECIPES
« on: July 23, 2017, 01:28:41 pm »
Hey everyone I know most of you are not home yet and if you are you are relaxing or unpacking as I am.  But I would like to make a cookbook for next years MOJAM.  If you could please send me recipes that you have prepared every year for the potluck or ones from the past i would really appreciate it.  There is always so much good food that I can never get to everyone and say hey what was in that.  Thanks and I will be looking for these recipes.  And it doesn't have to only be the potluck recipes.  You know how we pass those mason jars around.   ;)

Offline PaulN/KS

Re: MOJAM RECIPES
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2017, 08:24:28 pm »
Hey little bear,
Do you just want them via a message here or mailed to you?
 -C-

Offline little bear

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2017, 08:28:03 pm »
Either way is fine, I just want to get a jump start.

Thanks and glad you all made it home ok

Offline nonose

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2017, 10:06:25 pm »
How many ya shooting for?

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2017, 10:27:25 pm »
May be cool to post those recipes as replies to this post. Then everyone on PA can share in the scrumptiousness!
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline nonose

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2017, 11:12:29 pm »
T's salad

1 can green beans drained
1 can corn drained
1 med. onion chopped
1 bottle italian dressing
 mix well and serve

Offline little bear

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2017, 02:00:48 pm »
send as many as you would like, many of you have been coming for several years and have brought many enjoyable treats and eats for all  -C-

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2017, 10:08:58 am »

Spatchcocked Smoked Turkey

This is a way to smoke a turkey evenly without dying out half the bird to get the other half just past the under cooked line.  In my experience, even the cheapest store brand frozen turkey works well for this recipe.  I buy them up after Thanksgiving and stick them in the freezer to smoke out later in the year.  Here's how it goes...

1. After thawing the turkey, use a pair of heavy kitchen shears, or some well washed and sanitized tin snips, and cut the back bone out of the turkey by cutting through the ribs on either side of it.  I generally save this for making giblet gravy, but it's a nice dog treat too if you're not into giblet gravy.

2. Lay the bird out flat and use your favorite dry rub to coat the outside of the whole thing well.  Cover with plastic wrap and let it set so the spices can marry well and flavor the surface of the meat.  I often put it into the fridge for up to 48 hours before smoking it, but even just an hour works well too.

3. Select a smoking wood that you like for poultry.  I find fruit woods work best.  My favorite is green mulberry wood, but Osage, apple and pear all work nicely too.  I suggest not using mesquite or hickory as these are a bit heavy for turkey, but suit your own tastes.  Set your smoker to somewhere between 210 degrees and 260 degrees.  I think lower is better. 

4. After the smoker is hot and full of heavy smoke, place the bird, skin side down on the grate to smoke. 

5. After 1 hour, turn the bird over and smoke for a further hour and a half.

6. To finish in the oven, remove the turkey from the smoker, place it on a sheet tray and cover it with foil.  Set the oven to 350 degrees and roast until the internal temp of the breast and thigh meat reaches 165 to 170 degrees.  Remove it from the oven and let the meat rest for 10 - 15 minutes before carving.

7. To finish on the smoker, after two and a half hours smoking, wrap the bird in foil and return it to the smoker until the internal temp of the breast and thigh meat reaches 165 to 170 degrees.  Remove it from the smoker and let the meat rest for 10 - 15 minutes before carving.

Enjoy!  I like it both hot from the smoker and chilled and served cold the next day.

OneBow

« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 06:13:01 pm by Onebowonder »