Author Topic: The "What is the best wood for your climate" list  (Read 1122 times)

Offline willie

The "What is the best wood for your climate" list
« on: July 09, 2017, 11:22:34 am »
From another thread:
We know that Hickory likes to be drier than most. This hints that every species has an optimal MC. Has anyone seen such a list? Or attempted list?

I am building a list with the help of the community, and ask yall to weigh in on what works well for you. We all know that yew or osage is primo,  but lets hear your evaluation on some of the lesser used woods or tell us about your local alternates.

Please take a moment to look up and post your average humidity from the tables shown in the link below. It will help make the list relative.

copy and paste this address into your browser. Select your state, then click on humidity in the next page
Code: [Select]
https://www.currentresults.com/Weather/US/weather-averages-index.php
thanks for your contribution. Here is the table as of reply #6

species                                               average annual humidity
***********************************************************************************************************

elm                                                                            76, 69

ERC                                                                             67

hackberry                                                                   69                                                             

HHB                                                                            76

hickory                                                                        76

kenai birch                                                                  72

walnut                                                                         67

vine maple                                                                  81

Edit: I rephrased the request for info. Some of the first responses have estimated humidities from assumed locations.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 05:47:30 pm by willie »

Offline willie

Re: The "What is the best wood for your climate" list
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2017, 11:28:25 am »
Kenai Birch, or Betula kenaica,  is the only thing around that could be considered a bow wood.
average RH is about 72 where I am.
I do not store my bows inside during the winter.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 05:07:16 pm by willie »

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2017, 01:24:23 pm »
For me, it's yew and osage  ;)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2017, 01:31:08 pm »
Osage is my favorite but I also like yew, elm, hickory and HHB. These are the ones I'm most familiar with but I'm sure others will also work.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2017, 02:38:37 pm »
Living in the northwest, it has to be Vine maple.
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline DavidV

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2017, 02:41:03 pm »
Missouri has pretty high humidity and I would be lying if I didn't say osage dealt with it the best. I think the worst woods for humidity here are hickory and white oak. Elm and hackberry do pretty well.
Springfield, MO

Offline Josh B

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2017, 03:32:30 pm »
I live right at the transition point between two climates.  Osage, yew, walnut and ERC are good year round.  Most whitewoods and especially hickory are pretty doggy in the humid spring during the first turkey season,  but come the usually semi-arid fall the whitewood bows really shine.  Josh