Author Topic: is this sufficient for elk?  (Read 7157 times)

Offline Archeryrocks

is this sufficient for elk?
« on: July 11, 2017, 09:53:41 am »
Okay so I've asked about elk before but I'm curious I have made a 58 lb bow with lightly flipped tips I draw only 24 inches and I'm shooting an arrow 597 grains with about 26% foc speed of the arrow is I would guess around 150 fps plus or minus. I hoping to take a deer with this set up this year bit the ke and momentum calculators say this bow combo isn't quite up to the task for elk I would like some other opinions would this work?

Offline Danzn Bar

Re: is this sufficient for elk?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2017, 10:10:40 am »
It's all about placement ......I think it's good with the right placement at 15yds or less.
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2017, 11:32:16 am »
If you could squeak another few inches of draw length you would much farther ahead. That being said, I cant see how a 58# bow at that draw length wouldn't take an elk out with a good hit. But, I've never elk hunted.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Archeryrocks

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2017, 12:20:23 pm »
I wish I could comfortably draw 25 to 26 inches but to do that I'm drawing to my ear which diminishes accuracy. Conventional wisdom would say that me being 5'7" I would draw 26 inches I measure from the belly side of the handle just like if it were on the tillering stick and after consistent measurements drawing to my cheek I get 23.5 to 24.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2017, 12:36:08 pm »
Haven't hunted elk, but I think a steel broad head well placed will do the job.  I think most draw length is marked on the back of the bow, so I think your 26" is about right.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Online Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2017, 01:10:47 pm »
I uses a 56@26" sinew backed osage bow both times I went elk hunting. No elk showed up either time but I was confident with my set up when I went.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2017, 01:26:27 pm »
If you could put me on an elk I would be glad to test it for you..... (AT)
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline Archeryrocks

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2017, 03:45:19 pm »
I haven't personally hunted elk yet I live in Utah, and I want to but I haven't done it yet. That's why I'm questioning because it's all pretty new to me

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2017, 06:40:51 am »
I would have zero reservations if I were you. Keep your shots under 25 yards and I see no issues. A razor sharp 2 blade steel broad head doesn't take much to penetrate. I believe fresh whitetail hide requires 1.9# of kinetic energy to pierce.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline aaron

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2017, 10:21:29 am »
As others said, it's mostly all about shot placement- how big are your groups at 15 yards? 25 yards? How did you estimate your arrow speed? 150 fps at only 24 inches draw makes that bow way above average. Your arrow is pretty heavy for your setup. If I were you, I'd shave 100 grains off that arrow and retune. Also, keep your shots close enough that your groups at that distance are all within a paper plate.
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Offline Ed Brooks

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2017, 10:45:06 am »
I'd shoot and elk with that set up any day. range and shot placement, are a given and should be with any weapon used. Good Luck! Ed
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Offline Archeryrocks

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2017, 11:02:23 am »
I am using a 100 grain zwicky 2 blade boadhead modified with a Tanto point and right single bevel grind on the blade. I then have that on a 125 grain adapter. With a 1.75 inch aluminum footing On beman centershot arrows which are 9.6 gpi I have 3 3" a and a style fletching for this arrow the only way to remove weight would be on the point but that would make the spine way too stiff. The arrow is tuned quite well I know that they say not to but at 10 yards I have shot the broadhead  on bare shafts with no change in point of impact. My group at 10 yards is less than 3 inches with 6 arrows most of the time I can get at least one set with all six arrows touching. I'm still getting used to shooting longer distances. We just got a pass to an outdoor range near our home.
I estimated the arrow speed based on a bow that I know shoots 134 to 136 fps and this seems to shoot faster than that I tried to go to my local sportsman's warehouse to chronograph it but someone had put an arrow into their chronograph. So I haven't had a chance to actually test the speed.

Offline Archeryrocks

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2017, 11:16:17 am »
Clarification the broadhead was a 135 grain  4 blade zwicky that after modification is now 100 grains. These were my grandpa's broadheads so it was what I had available and I took care while modifying the blade to avoid changing the temper of the steel. Although zwicky tends to have a softer temper than I would like. It still takes and holds a shaving sharp edge

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2017, 10:31:31 pm »
yes its enough,, a fast flight will get you more fps,, but that arrow weight and bow seems fine to me,, (SH)
shoot it though a chrono so you know for sure what its doing,,as suggested if you could go to 25 inches,, it would shoot a bit harder as well,,
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 10:36:49 pm by bradsmith2010 »

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2017, 08:51:09 am »
Sounds like a lot of fun.Your set up of poundage of the bow and weight of the arrow with the foc distribution which is great and draw length should do the job speed and penetration wise.All this except for the 4 blade arrow head.I feel a good 2 blade grizzly would be better or your 2 blade tanto single bevel grind sharpened well.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed