Author Topic: Tillering D cross section of EWB  (Read 3431 times)

Offline apg

Tillering D cross section of EWB
« on: July 08, 2017, 07:51:16 pm »
Hi guys,

New here and new to bow making.

I'm working on a little English Long bow made wth Yew. It's for my 8 year old.

I'm familiar with tillering different bows, usually with flatter bellies. But this has me a bit stumped. When tillering for the round D shape on the belly of the longbow, am I supposed to shave it to shape and sand etc so it's even and the shape I want, the. Keep working the belly, evening out the shape over and over until I've gotten it right?

I feel like if I tillered it flat to somewhere close without rounding out the edges it might be too light by the time I get close.

Any tips appreciated!

Ash

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: Tillering D cross section of EWB
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2017, 03:17:03 am »
At a kids weight you are never going to get a pretty D section and anyway it's a bit of a myth except in Victorian target bows (IMO)
I tiller 'em with pretty much rectangular section until you get 'em braced, then take off the corners and slightly round any flat faces.
The D section is just a result of making the bow, not much more...
The Mary Rose Warbows are not a high arched D, more like an inflated rectangle or almost circular cross section.

This video from a series I did shows how it is rectangular when it goes on the tiller for the first time (except at the very tip where I have to get the string on). The video is a bit long winded... :-[
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8OjC7HV4Bk&list=PLBz2tD9476KQFyMBLEylQGh952tBT_mZB&index=3
Del
« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 03:23:56 am by Del the cat »
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.