Author Topic: braintan  (Read 3194 times)

Offline Outbackbob48

braintan
« on: July 12, 2017, 03:01:02 pm »
Been nice an warm here so I thought I would get after some of my hides, Almost dry but humtidy is slowing me down today. I know to hot to cold never just right, I do believe my hides are drying faster outside than indoors in winter with woodstove and fans. Another hour and this one will be done, Bob

Stringman

Re: braintan
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2017, 04:20:00 pm »
Following! (-P

Offline ksnow

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2017, 09:27:37 pm »
Looking very nice. The end product is worth all the work.

Kyle

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2017, 09:55:03 pm »
Following! (-P

+1 here too. I have 4 ready for brain tanning just waiting for the right time

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2017, 12:56:02 am »
Brains are already in the hide?  Good stretching, They look ready to stake.  At this point , it is time for a zen brain tanning party, a couple cases of appropriate beverages, some brats and burgers, and a bunch of folks to man the staking >:D!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2017, 03:56:51 am »
You are the man Bob, Looking good, I can't imagine doing them this time of year in Tennessee, I couldn't get them dry for sweeting on them. I do mine in mid to late winter. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Bone pile

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2017, 06:29:11 am »
looks good there Bob. Didn't see any holes, what do you stitch them up with? I have a couple I need to put the smoke to.
Roger
Venice Florida

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2017, 08:34:51 am »
Raining today so no pics of finished hide :(  Rodger, Iused a #12 short beading needle and Dynma thread size" A". You need to load up a couple of needles before starting to sew in case ya break one, It's all I can do to get the dang thing threaded but leaves a real tight sewing job, This particular hide was real nice as far a skinning and only had a small 3/8 entry hole and a 1" slice on the exit, and the hunter who skinned this one did a nice job. Pappy it usually only gets in the mid 70s here but yesterday was 83 and muggy overcast high humidty. :( HawkD, at this stage the brains were already in the hide, I have been hand stretching until the hide is white but still wet then quickly lace in frame and finish working till dry , no party to help )P(. This particular hide I got away with a single braining overnight soak. The trouble with hot weather is brains sour real fast  :o :owhew, Anyways hide finished out soft, will try and get a pic up as soon as rain quits, I have about a doz to go and then start smoking. Bob

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2017, 10:41:29 am »
Good project Bob.I love brain tanned leather!!!Wonderful stuff.The sewing of holes set up that you used is what I use too from the flesh side.Just a good close whip stitch.Finish up with real sinew later before smoking.The advantage of sewing them while wet before drying is that there will be no puckering on the seam line.It gets stretched while drying and stretched to conform.Leaves a dead flat surface.Almost invisible especially after smoking.My Big fella into Buckskin thread shows my routine.I've staked them dry before too.Makes for a thinner finished product but a larger hide also.Once you start after lacing in your there till finished though.I prefer to rope them dry by hand.Makes for a smaller hide but thicker.I put it in a plastic bag overnight then to get back to it the next day.Most times not needed to do with an average sized hide but with large hides it's handy.3 to 4 hours out of a nice day is all that's required for drying time.70 degree weather with a slight breeze is perfect drying weather.Not always attainable though.
I'll keep my brain slurry in the frig with a lid to keep from spoiling.Usually good for at least one more braining of a hide.
When I had multiple hides to smoke I used to sew 2 together.
Not trying to high jack your thread here Bob but for those who want to attempt brain tanning it's nice to get a really nice product.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed