Author Topic: heat treating flint  (Read 2246 times)

Offline iowabow

heat treating flint
« on: July 13, 2017, 12:00:45 pm »
Playing with a new used kiln with ceramic today and thought I would share some info. This kiln is a precursors to the programable kilns. Interesting feature is that the dials a infinite in nature. So in theroy you should be able to dial it in 3 times on a ramp and have a pretty consistent firing. I will test it and write a little review on it in a couple of  days. Just thought it might be interest.
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline nclonghunter

Re: heat treating flint
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2017, 03:00:24 pm »
talked to a guy today that three different sized kilns and they appear to be a little older. Said he got them in some swapping and has never used them....may need to make a swap of my own.....looking forward to your results John.
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline iowabow

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2017, 07:44:54 am »
talked to a guy today that three different sized kilns and they appear to be a little older. Said he got them in some swapping and has never used them....may need to make a swap of my own.....looking forward to your results John.
if I can be any help to you let me know
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2017, 10:10:01 am »
I have an old one with just three settings, low, med, and really hot. I've found out with a digital thermometer that the low setting tops out over 900 degrees. I've learned how to cook rock by starting out with the lid half open and gradually opening and closing it with the thermometer inside until I get the temperature where I want it. Then I let it go.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Chippintuff

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2017, 10:57:17 pm »
I bought a ceramic kiln when I first started knapping, and it had an "infinite" control that showed about 6-7 levels marked. I blw up a few batches of rick till I found what Mullet did. The lowest setting topped out at 900F. After switching to a turkey roaster, I have done a lot of successful cooking.

WA