Author Topic: fish skin backing  (Read 1965 times)

Offline Archeryrocks

fish skin backing
« on: July 19, 2017, 11:42:06 am »
Fish skin backing? So I have seen sturgeon skins, and I've seen perch skins used like snake skin I had an idea today and I'm curious if anyone has tried it. In Utah we have tiger muskie and they grow quite large which could mean a potential camouflage metering like snake skin but fish skin instead. Mind you I've never caught one of these fish but that could be part of the challenge. Has anyone done anything like this before?

Offline High-Desert

Re: fish skin backing
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2017, 11:47:18 am »
It's always worth a try. A lot of fish don't hold their color after a few ours of being dead, and the colors don't come through on a backing. I tried with brook trout, it went from a colorful skin of black with dots of blue, red and yellow, to a grey color by the time I got it home with a hardly any coloring remaining. The muskee may be different, either way it would still work, just may not be the same as it was on the fish. I say try it and find out. 
Eric

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2017, 11:48:33 am »
Some fish skin's patterns are in the scales and when they are removed so is the pattern. I don't know about tiger muskie. Even if you loose the pattern the skins can still give you a camo effect.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline hoosierf

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2017, 12:20:12 pm »
Just be aware that they call Muskie the fish of 10,000 casts!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2017, 12:29:47 pm »
Muskie and pike are almost white after the scales come off. Not very pretty, like carp and sturgeon are.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2017, 03:34:49 pm »
Yeah, Pearlie's right about pike, tried that one the other day and as soon as the scales were off...  :(. Is it possible to leave the scales on in attempts to maintain the beauty?
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2017, 03:37:17 pm »
Nope. I'm sure it could happen for a period of time, but eventually they and the finish will flake away.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2017, 06:57:27 pm »
Nope. I'm sure it could happen for a period of time, but eventually they and the finish will flake away.

:'(
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Archeryrocks

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2017, 12:50:15 am »
good to know I appreciate the responses.

Offline Greenriverwoodcraft

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2017, 09:14:04 pm »
I love fish skins, I posted a bow with mahi skins back in december you can find on here

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2017, 07:38:53 am »
The mahi I caught lost 90% of their color before they stopped breathing in my cooler? Sure wish they would keep that color they have when your fighting them to the boat, not many colors like that in nature anywhere.