Author Topic: Floor tillering with a router  (Read 489 times)

Offline JonW

Re: Floor tillering with a router
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2017, 06:58:19 pm »
Sure do Bub. 100% tiller on my belt sander. If a country bumpkin like me can do it anybody can.  :P

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2017, 12:54:36 am »
Board bows work well with machine work & tapper when I first started I got the recipe for a pyramid bow off the net and set my thickness planer for 9/16 ran it threw profiled it made and shaped a handle and had a bow in a day, then I bought the bent stick & followed his recipe for limb tapper and it was tillered almost perfect after machining , but with staves following whoopitidoo s,undulutions,snakes etc , machining with out human control is tuff Im looking forward to trying the power file I will give it a shot on a test peace over the week end ! Im glad to see all the positive comments last time this subject come up there was a big hoopla about primitive vs not.
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Online sleek

« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2017, 01:43:50 am »
Thanks for the tips. I hesitate to use my belt sander because of all the dust and I don't have a vacuum system. It's mostly Ocean Spray that's causing problems at the moment because it's so dense. The bandsaw idea may work as it produces less fine dust than a sander. I'll take a couple of passes on the bow I'm working on and see.

I'm back. Thanks Eric, that works. Two passes on each limb equals about 1/4" of draw length for the same draw weight. It's rough but even. I'll scrape it now and see how much I get once it's smooth. The bandsaw it no where near as noisy as a router would have been. We'll see how long a blade lasts. I won't jump into it right away but it's nice to know there is a better option than a screaming router.

Sleek, I couldn't find bandsaw rasp blades but I did hit a site where a guy taped together  sections of a broken bandsaw blade to use as a rasp. Much like a Shinto but with no offset. Looked like it would work well.

Here you go. Idk how practical they are for this, but i knew they made them. Just close the space between the m and L on html to make the link work.

https://picclick.com/Doall-band-saw-file-blade-75-inch-3-8-181182673435.htm l
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2017, 01:42:42 pm »
 Jonw that would be a interesting how to thread with your technique I know I would be real interested in learning !
If you fear failure you will never Try !