Author Topic: Floor tillering with a router  (Read 3325 times)

Offline JonW

Re: Floor tillering with a router
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2017, 09:47:31 pm »
Sure do Bub. 100% tiller on my belt sander. If a country bumpkin like me can do it anybody can.  :P

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2017, 03:43:48 am »
Board bows work well with machine work & tapper when I first started I got the recipe for a pyramid bow off the net and set my thickness planer for 9/16 ran it threw profiled it made and shaped a handle and had a bow in a day, then I bought the bent stick & followed his recipe for limb tapper and it was tillered almost perfect after machining , but with staves following whoopitidoo s,undulutions,snakes etc , machining with out human control is tuff Im looking forward to trying the power file I will give it a shot on a test peace over the week end ! Im glad to see all the positive comments last time this subject come up there was a big hoopla about primitive vs not.
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline sleek

« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2017, 04:33:02 am »
Thanks for the tips. I hesitate to use my belt sander because of all the dust and I don't have a vacuum system. It's mostly Ocean Spray that's causing problems at the moment because it's so dense. The bandsaw idea may work as it produces less fine dust than a sander. I'll take a couple of passes on the bow I'm working on and see.

I'm back. Thanks Eric, that works. Two passes on each limb equals about 1/4" of draw length for the same draw weight. It's rough but even. I'll scrape it now and see how much I get once it's smooth. The bandsaw it no where near as noisy as a router would have been. We'll see how long a blade lasts. I won't jump into it right away but it's nice to know there is a better option than a screaming router.

Sleek, I couldn't find bandsaw rasp blades but I did hit a site where a guy taped together  sections of a broken bandsaw blade to use as a rasp. Much like a Shinto but with no offset. Looked like it would work well.

Here you go. Idk how practical they are for this, but i knew they made them. Just close the space between the m and L on html to make the link work.

https://picclick.com/Doall-band-saw-file-blade-75-inch-3-8-181182673435.htm l
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2017, 04:31:54 pm »
 Jonw that would be a interesting how to thread with your technique I know I would be real interested in learning !

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2017, 01:56:50 pm »
I still haven't got my power file yet there back ordered but picked up this Grizzly oscillation spindle sander had a ruffed out bow pretty muched ruffed floor tillered  in about 1 1/2 hours would have had it ready for the tree today if the wife didn't step in with the week end honey Doo's but it's very controlable with the 80 grit spindle & takes off very controled amounts and pretty quit Ed Beadman speaks highly of these & I can see why, DC if you get one of these you could give Upstate a run for the money on bow out put I would bet with a little practice you could take a bow to tiller I'm just to chicken to try on a nice peace of hedge  )P(

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2017, 01:57:40 pm »
Ruff floor tillerd