Author Topic: "0" knowledge of mushrooms, almost  (Read 4444 times)

Offline upstatenybowyer

Re: "0" knowledge of mushrooms, almost
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2017, 07:00:41 pm »
Strobilomyces floccopus. Not my favorite to eat, but definitely one of my favorite Latin names to say!  :D
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Online Eric Krewson

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2017, 08:53:49 am »
I sauteed my chanterelles and had them on a big deer burger. I had never tasted anything but store bought mushrooms so my first taste of the chanterelles was that they were different, by the time I got to the end of my burger I really like them

Online GlisGlis

« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2017, 11:44:07 am »
the edible mushrooms of cantarellus and bolutus genus are usually easy to recognize and safe to eat however I strongly recommend you to be very very cautious while collecting mushrooms
I know i sound like old grunt but you cannot trust books or internet pictures alone to collect mushrooms you dont know
It's simply too easy to make a mistake and there are so many poisonous effects you'd be fascinated
Many of this poisons wont kill you right away. They will cause permanent damages to your organs even in small portions.
Dont collect any mushroom you're not 100% sure is good
Small mushrooms are much more likely to be confused
Never pick allready severed mushrooms
You may be damaged even if perfectly edible mushrooms are old and/or improperly stored
While collecting it's good practice to avoid mixing mushrooms of sure edibility with those you need to investigate
Not all poisons will disappear when the mushroom is cooked
If you're wise enough not to trust yourself be even more cautious when listening to other suggestions
So many people claiming great mushrooms knowledge, so many poisoning cases every year

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2017, 01:41:36 pm »
the edible mushrooms of cantarellus and bolutus genus are usually easy to recognize and safe to eat however I strongly recommend you to be very very cautious while collecting mushrooms
I know i sound like old grunt but you cannot trust books or internet pictures alone to collect mushrooms you dont know
It's simply too easy to make a mistake and there are so many poisonous effects you'd be fascinated
Many of this poisons wont kill you right away. They will cause permanent damages to your organs even in small portions.
Dont collect any mushroom you're not 100% sure is good
Small mushrooms are much more likely to be confused
Never pick allready severed mushrooms
You may be damaged even if perfectly edible mushrooms are old and/or improperly stored
While collecting it's good practice to avoid mixing mushrooms of sure edibility with those you need to investigate
Not all poisons will disappear when the mushroom is cooked
If you're wise enough not to trust yourself be even more cautious when listening to other suggestions
So many people claiming great mushrooms knowledge, so many poisoning cases every year

Completely agreed. My dad took care of an entire family (kids, parents, grandparents) from Laos who died from eating Amanita phalloides (the Death Cap). First I learned all the deadly ones, then the poisonous ones, then the edible ones. A great thing to do is see if your area has a local mushroom club. Ours has professors of mycology from Cornell among its members and they take folks out for forays and teach them to identify mushrooms hands-on.
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline FilipT

« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2017, 03:58:40 pm »
In Croatia we have a famous and very known mushroom expert who wrote a series of helpful books with tips how to know which species of mushroom is what you see. I have couple of these at home and they are practical for taking them on the mushroom finding tip.
Me and my dad mostly collect those from Boletus family.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2017, 10:34:34 pm »
I have a book of every mushroom found in North America with colored photos and descriptions about different stages of eating certain mushrooms. like cramps, puking and,, not sure but be careful. ::) The only 'scrooms I've ever found in our climate that I trusted eating is Chantrelles. They are considered a host mushroom because you usually find them in moist to wet areas under Water Oaks. Ideal habitat in the Deep South.

The last time I hunted the Alexacarri Plantation I found a bunch. By the time we finished picking them we had a little over seven pounds.

By the way, at the time, wholesale price was around $90 a pound.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2017, 05:04:10 pm »
We once had this dude from California at our mushroom club and he told tales of the Giant chanterelle aka Cantharellus californicus. I'd love to find a few of these bad boys with a going rate of $90 a pound!

Nigerian Proverb

Online GlisGlis

« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2017, 11:40:45 am »
 (A)
imagine the worms inside that mushroom.
Anacondas
 ;D