Author Topic: Harvesting chokecherry shafts  (Read 2975 times)

Offline JW_Halverson

Harvesting chokecherry shafts
« on: July 21, 2017, 11:22:11 pm »
Someone mentioned using a wrench as a guide for measuring a chokecherry shaft for when it is big enough to harvest. I have a nice little patch that I think is ready for harvest but cannot find the reference. 

Anyone remember?  Was it 3/8 inch?
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline penderbender

• island life...
Re: Harvesting chokecherry shafts
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2017, 12:04:55 am »
That will be perfect. You want about 3/8ths or so on the big end. Cheers- Brendan

Online ksnow

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2017, 07:11:59 am »
Not too familiar with chokecherry, but 7/16 is about right for hazel around here. You'll lose diameter in drying and debarking. I'd rather have a bigger shaft that needs sanding and scraping. I also try to cut 36 to 40 inch long pieces, so I can use the best part.

Kyle

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2017, 11:37:39 am »
Not too familiar with chokecherry, but 7/16 is about right for hazel around here. You'll lose diameter in drying and debarking. I'd rather have a bigger shaft that needs sanding and scraping. I also try to cut 36 to 40 inch long pieces, so I can use the best part.

Kyle

A lot of these will be close to 50 inches, giving plenty of room to pick the straightest part of the shaft.

I have been going through this patch all spring and summer watching the straightest shoots. I have also been pinching off leaves from the bottom up as they grow to make a rounder and more uniform shaft.  Last time I harvested chokecherry shafts was when I ran across a thicket that had been clear cut by a new colony of beavers that moved into my favorite rabbit hunting creekbottom.  Much of it had 35-40 shoots per square meter the next spring - half of them very serviceable!  I had a couple dozen great shafts in just a matter of ten minutes cutting.  I meant to go back, but didn't that year. By the next year it was too late, everything had branched and was useless.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2017, 12:03:44 pm »
John, I've used a 3/8" open end wrench for years to check at the base bur I use sourwood and hill cane. You can always reduce the shoots with a thumb plane or belt sander.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2017, 02:14:12 pm »
John, I've used a 3/8" open end wrench for years to check at the base bur I use sourwood and hill cane. You can always reduce the shoots with a thumb plane or belt sander.

Yeah, I'd rather take'em a little thick than not have enough to work with

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2017, 04:31:48 pm »
Most shoots will shrink as they dry and when you remove the bark they go down more sp starting with 3/8" MOL you usually come out about right. You can always reduce more if needed.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Silver John

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2017, 05:09:59 pm »
I use a 10 mm wrench as a gage.  It is slightly larger than a 3/8 " wrench.

Measuring large end of the shoot.

John