Author Topic: Acceptable amount of set  (Read 8678 times)

Offline Badger

Re: Acceptable amount of set
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2017, 02:25:20 pm »
   I have mixed fast flight and linen before for heavy bows. Both are non stretch. You have the safety factor of fast flight and can get a reasonable diameter using the linen added to it.

Offline DC

« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2017, 02:41:16 pm »
Does it matter that they are both non-stretch? The FF is strong enough to not break, the filler is just there to, ah, fill. ;)

Offline meanewood

« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2017, 07:12:39 pm »
Hi Will
I did finally get around to making a F/F string with a running loop and I can see the issues you had with getting it unstrung!
It just doesn't release like linen with a thick serving does.
The F/F loop folds over and everything binds tight making the loosening very hard.
I suggest you try linen or hemp and serve it tightly. The small loop will not fold up like the F/F does and as a result, its easy er to loosen!

Hope we haven't gotten of track with this subject!

Offline WillS

« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2017, 04:18:43 am »
Hey Stuart!  Yeah I've abandoned it on FF completely for bows over 130lb as they're  I just impossible to unbrace.

Interestingly at a Warbow Wales shoot recently I had a linen string snap at the running loop as well, on just a 110lb bow.  I don't serve mine as I think it makes the strings too heavy, so I am starting to wonder whether it's a historical method or not.  Hemp would break even quicker as it apparently can't handle tight bends at all well.

mikekeswick

« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2017, 02:05:47 am »
Make the ends thicker. :)