Author Topic: english version?  (Read 3878 times)

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
english version?
« on: July 24, 2017, 08:08:36 am »
Adam Biro  and Peter Bencsik have written what might be a really useful paper 'Tradition from archaeology? Reconstruction of a tenth-century Magyar bow (Régészeti leletanyagból hagyományélesztés? A magyarhomorog-kónyadombi 103. sír íjrekonstrukciója)'
But although the images, especially of the antler plates on the ears are especially helpful, I don't speak Hungarian.  Anyone know for an English translation? It is listed as Hungarian only.

Offline Coonst

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
Re: english version?
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2017, 08:03:30 am »
That is a really useful guide, but its not the one, unfortunately. The last chapter of the book seems to be Peter's account of building two historically accurate Magyar bows (the on-line preview of the book is the chapter needed by bowyers, lucky us). The other 400 pages are a mystery to me. Anyone interested in the antler work really needs to check the images on pp396-404

Offline Bjoern Sofeit

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2017, 02:38:59 pm »
Put the interesting sections into google translate. Hungarian to English works reasonably well to make out what's what. Adam Biro and Peter Bencsik commented on those sideplates a number of times now, they were very rare in graves where archery tackle was also present. Biro meant that the antler plates were likely attributes of nobles.

They do however give a good impression of the cross-section of the ear looked like, also notice the bulbous shape of the grip.

Offline Coonst

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2017, 06:11:59 am »
Too bad I didn't look up your description more properly. Honestly, I just saw Peter Brencsik's name, and "just knew" it "had to be" the linked one. Sorry.

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2017, 09:47:45 am »
No worries, that guide is on my essential reading list, I've even printed off a copy. 😁

Offline Coonst

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2017, 02:56:57 pm »
And it is totally worth it! :)