Author Topic: Short draw  (Read 3218 times)

Offline Will Tell

Short draw
« on: July 25, 2017, 10:02:36 am »
I like shooting a self bow over other bows but notice my draw is only around 23 or 24inches when I shoot my self bows. It doesn't seem to bother my accuracy under 20 yards. I tiller them for my short draw. The question is should I tiller my bows to get a longer draw or leave well enough alone?

Offline DC

Re: Short draw
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2017, 10:33:33 am »
If you limit the draw length you limit who you can let try your bow. All you need is one ape to ruin your work.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2017, 11:15:40 am »
Longer draws have more power and speed than comparable shorter draws.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2017, 12:15:14 pm »
I usually tiller out my bows to 28" but I draw 26". I like the insurance of the extra 2" in case someone else draws it.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Ezra Knight

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2017, 12:42:51 pm »
 I tiller my bows to my draw length and just don't let anyone shoot them unless they have the same draw length. I've had too many good bows ruined from people purposely overdrawing them, so I learned my lesson

Offline half eye

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2017, 01:32:37 pm »
hey Will,  tiller for your draw. You can make the arrows length "draw to the head" if you are going to insist on letting other people shoot the bow. I dont consider 23-24 inch draw as "short" per-see. The AMO decided that 28" was standard, and just maybe if ya shoot in the upright, closed stance, English style. Here is the catch though, not everybody shoots like that.

Make what ya like to shoot, not what everybody else likes to shoot. Set one of them 28+ inch draws dudes down against a tree on his fanny and see how much they draw........just a guess mind, but I'm pretty sure it's gonna be shorter. Just one old mans opinion though
rich

Offline Will Tell

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2017, 02:59:22 pm »
I've let others look at my self bows because they were curious but always tell them not to pull them because of my short draw. I missed a Gobler sitting flat on my butt at ten yards, shot right between his legs. That will shorten your draw length for sure.lol :G

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2017, 04:58:18 pm »
Lots of things will shorten you up, but I always build to a solid, full draw. Mine will vary from 27-28.5 depending on my situation. Like sitting, twisted around, hunched over, upright, uphill and so on.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline High-Desert

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2017, 01:07:26 am »
I say make your bows for you. I only hand over my bows unstrung. If you make a bow to shoot at 28", and only draw to 24", you loose a lot of cast vs tiller a bow for 24" and shooting it 24" since a lot less mass is required to make a 24" draw bow
Eric

Offline sleek

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2017, 12:02:35 pm »
Plenty of times i have handed over unstrung bows, only to have the folks look confused at it,  and try to draw nack on the slack string. They usually comment on how strong it is then leave quickly.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2017, 09:25:15 pm »
I'm not saying a bow drawn to 28" doesn't have more cast and speed than a bow drawn to 24". I also agree that a bow made for a 28" draw is less likely to be overdrawn, although it still can be overdrawn. I guess what I would say is that I only draw to 24 maybe 25 on a really good day. If I make my bow for 50@28 I'm gonna be around 38@24. I make my bows to fit me. I make someone else's to fit them.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2017, 10:36:26 pm »
if you are comforatable at 24 and design the bow to that draw,, it will and can shoot quite hard,,I was making a sinew bow in feb,, I was shooting it through the chrono as I tillerd,, with a b 50,, 56# at 24 it was shooting 500 grain arrow 169 fps,,
at 25 inches of draw shooting 500 grain arrow with fast flight string,,,177 fps,,  bow was about 58 -59# at 25 inches,,
a bow with longer power stroke could out shoot it or recurve etc,, but if you hit a deer with a 500 grain arrow going 177 fps,, it will do the job,, short draw and all,, my very favorite hunting bow was a sinew backed recurve, It drew about 60# at 24 inches,, and killed several deer,,,sorry for the ramble, but I love,short draw bows,, and long draw bows too,,,, I think the shorter draw is under rated,, but many years of chrono testing have shown me they can shoot quite well,,, especially when you get to 24 and over,,
you can get a 20 inch draw bow to shoot hard enough to hunt with , but have to go up a bit in weight to compensate for the short power stroke,,
best thing is not let anyone shoot your bow,,