Author Topic: Michigan Chert...or something else?  (Read 4183 times)

Offline Two Heart

Michigan Chert...or something else?
« on: July 26, 2017, 04:49:44 pm »
Hi All,

First time posting in this section.  I've been collecting a few samples of stones as I travel around my home state of Michigan.  I'm trying to learn how to identify knappable rock and thought someone here could help shed some light on my progress thus far.  I haven't flaked them much at all and don't want to ruin any cores, they are hard to find!  So far I have been able to locate general areas, thanks to this site and others :), grab stones that look like limestone and start flaking to see if there's any chert hidden inside.  Many of these stones exhibit the conchoidal fracture, but I'm not sure if they are hard enough to function as a tool or have a high enough quality to be worked more.  I was amazed at the variety of color in some of these stones from the Norwood area. Thanks for looking and let me know if you think I should try knapping a few of these or keep hunting for better options! Thanks :)

These all came from the Norwood area:
IMG_20170723_162404192_HDR by Mark Thomson, on Flickr
IMG_20170723_162424350_HDR by Mark Thomson, on Flickr
IMG_20170723_162502466 by Mark Thomson, on Flickr

This one is also from the Norwood area - I found it a few hundred yards from the others in a mud puddle.  It was about a foot grade level leading me to suspect someone had buried it there.  I'm a novice, but to me it looks like a core that has had flakes spalled off all the way around it.  What do you think?

IMG_20170723_162530139 by Mark Thomson, on Flickr

Manistique area:

IMG_20170723_161912838 by Mark Thomson, on Flickr

Also, this came from the southern shore of Lake Superior - Not a chert, but a convenient shape for bopping which raises another question: What other types of stones were used as tools and what other types of stone tools did ancient man use? I've found a lot of literature on chert/flint, but not on much else.

IMG_20170723_162003271 by Mark Thomson, on Flickr
IMG_20170723_162010744 by Mark Thomson, on Flickr
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 05:09:01 pm by Two Heart »

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: Michigan Chert...or something else?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2017, 07:47:18 pm »
Welcome to the knapping section of the PA forum Two Heart. I also live in Michigan. I just started knapping about two years ago. I'm thinking what your finding looks a lot like what I find here. It probably is knapable, but more than likely very challenging to work. High quality chert will be "slick, smooth and shinny" inside. Most of what I find is a bit on the coarse side. I don't know if heat would improve it, but if it does it must take more heat than I've tried so far. The good thing is if you do succeed making points from these materials you will have a very durable point and when you get some really good quality material it will seem much easier. Hope to meet up with you sometime. Have you gone to a Michigan Flint knappers meet yet? It's real nice to meet other knappers and actually get some good stone.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Two Heart

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2017, 08:25:08 pm »
Thanks for the tips Bjrogg, I visited the website and see that I just missed the summer knap-in, I'll have to catch the next one.  My flakes off some of these stones are inconsistent, they seem to start breaking in the conchoidal fashion, then fracture irregularly.  Maybe they've seen too many freeze thaw cycles, idk.  I'll try working these a bit more.  Stay well

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2017, 08:31:12 pm »
Yes Two Heart, that's another huge problem with local stone. It's hard to find stuff that's not frezze cracked. I've talked to some guys that know where to look that find some under water. I however don't know where to look underwater or how to get it from there.
Bjrogg

Offline JEB

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2017, 01:24:29 pm »
Cook it up.   I use a turkey roaster and Lake Michigan beach sand. That will tame it some and show you where the cracks are.  Got to go 3' down I Michigan to avoid freeze cracked rock.  Nothing beats taking a deer from a point you made from your home state.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2017, 01:58:19 pm »
Knew you'd chime in here Jeb. If Jeb says it'll work, it'll work.
Bjrogg

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2017, 05:40:27 pm »
JEB beat me to it. I see some that might benefit from some cooking. Try around 450 dgs and see what happens, and welcome to the site and addiction.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?