Author Topic: Tiller question  (Read 5270 times)

Offline Dances with squirrels

Re: Tiller question
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2017, 06:44:00 pm »
Honestly? I don't know.

In the first pic, assuming conventional wisdom ruled the day, it seems the top is to the right and the bottom/left is likely strong(imo), but I hate to judge too harshly too early. Now, beinzit I have no idea where you're pulling the string from, or holding the grip at, in relation to your true fulcrums... are they indeed true/realistic? Regardless, in the series of 4 pics, the first of the 4 looks like the bow is now switched, top now on left side. But in 2, 3, and 4 of that series, it looks like the top is again on the right. Yo DC, you messin with us? is this a test? lol

So sir, I return your serve.... which limb are YOU calling the bottom?  ;)
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline DC

« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2017, 07:12:43 pm »
DWS   Since I was 4" from my goal I hadn't picked the top limb, or the bottom ;D ;D and you're right it does look like when I took it down to brace it I turned it around when I put it back up. Wasn't deliberate. Sorry it was early. I hadn't even had coffee yet.

Brad   It weighs 17 oz which, if I'm reading the chart right, is about what it should be for a 26" draw

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2017, 07:26:04 pm »
Ahh, coffee is good food. I choose limbs during layout based on wood quality, availability, amounts of reflex/deflex, character, or whatever such thoughtful reasoning. 4" from the goal? Hmmm, not me. I make a definitive choice on limbs, usually long before I floor tiller. Lay it out asymmetrical, and that's that.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2017, 07:57:40 pm »
well ok I was wrong about the mass,, but the set is still telling,,
please shoot it at 24 before you go further,, and then since its your bow,, do as you wish,, (=)

Offline DC

« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2017, 08:09:01 pm »
I tried. Da*n chrono. About 50-60 shots and maybe a half dozen valid results. The rest were ERR1 and ERR2. I don't know when to believe this thing. If i had to guess I'd say it was in the high 160's. I had one 170, one 182 and one 263. I know not to believe the 263. I think I'm pleased and impressed but even though I put tape around the arrow at 24 I can't be sure I was hitting it. I find the chrono very frustrating.

Offline Badger

« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2017, 08:19:28 pm »
  I don't know how much your arrow weighs but if it is 10 grains per pound you are getting great results. If your mass is ok and the bow is showing signs of early set I would be suspicious of slightly high moisture, maybe like 12 or 13 %. I would honestly go with the heat treating and then put the bow in a dry place for a week or so. Another thing, not all osage is alike, some just holds its profile better than others.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2017, 08:34:23 pm »
sounds like you are not standing far enough back,,
at least one arrow length,,
and try a different lighting,, like morning light may give you more consistant results,,
thanks for trying though,, it sounds like it is shooting well like Badger said,,
 (-S

Offline DC

« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2017, 08:59:52 pm »
I tried all different distances from 1 arrow length out to 15 feet or so. Once I'm out that far my chances of hitting the chronos sweet spot diminish rapidly. It's not usually this bad. Maybe the light. It's a bright sunny day. I'll try tomorrow morning.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2017, 09:59:38 am »
I have best luck in the morning,, and it takes practice to shoot through it level,,

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2017, 04:14:01 pm »
DC,, did you get to shoot the bow,,  (AT)

Offline Badger

« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2017, 04:41:45 pm »
 DC, do you have any overhead electrical wires anywhere near where you shoot through the chrono. I had to quit using mine because of wires near my yard. I get 20 fps fast or slow and sometimes just haywire readings.

Offline DC

« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2017, 04:52:32 pm »
Brad  I heat treated it so it's resting. I shot it before treating. It shoots real nice. Maybe tomorrow I'll try again though the chrono.

Steve  There are regular distribution wires, 2300 or 7600 volts, about 150 feet from where I shoot. Is that "anywhere near"?  I am in the shade of a bunch of trees and I can see the shadows dancing around. That could screw it up. Maybe I'll take it out to a sand pit far from anything and try it.

Has anyone tried one of those Doplar chronos.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2017, 03:47:07 pm »
I think the shade of the trees could be part of the problem,,

Offline DC

« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2017, 04:59:11 pm »
I've thought more about that and if the flickering shade is causing false readings why does the chrono never go off on its own? If a shadow is triggering the sensors I should get error messages without doing anything.

A strange thing happened though. I had the chrono on it's tripod and my wife moved it. It fell over and the number 2 sensor came to pieces. Pulled all the screws out. Maybe good news I thought, now I can buy one of those Doppler Chronos. I stuck it all back together but since the screw holes were stripped out I CA'd the two halves together. Now it seems to work reasonably well even in the sun. I'll try it again this afternoon.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2017, 05:00:31 pm »
well ok then , ,proceed and post results, we all hoping they are great,, )P(