Author Topic: I had the day off, so. . .  (Read 2361 times)

Offline jeffp51

I had the day off, so. . .
« on: July 28, 2017, 10:01:53 pm »
These three started out as a big rock.  Now they are smaller.  Of course, as I took the pictures, I dropped the side-notched point and broke off the ear.  Make that 2 completed points and 4 broken ones somewhere in the process.  I like these two though.  My notching is getting better thanks to some jackcrafty videos on notching.

Offline selfbow joe

• 1-812-344-1590
Re: I had the day off, so. . .
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2017, 10:33:23 pm »
Nice looking points

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2017, 11:05:59 pm »
Nice points!  Obsidian?  I plan to get some more floor pads to protect my drops as soon as
I can start knapping, hopefully a couple of weeks.  HFrgt has a 4x4 park pretty cheap - closed foam, also makes good bottom padding for quivers >:D
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2017, 11:14:53 pm »
Yes obsidian from my brother in northern California. It is supposed to be rainbow obsidian, but so far the best I have just had mild striations like this one.

Offline Zuma

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2017, 10:11:20 am »
Lookin good Jeff,
Love the Warner Mts- Goose Lake :)
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2017, 11:33:06 am »
Looking good Jeff. I have some Rainbow Obsidian Jeb gave me. I like it much better than the Mahogany I have. Yup you gotta hold onto those buggers at all time. I've already dropped them halvting them on a arrow shaft.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2017, 04:26:15 pm »
curious why you like the rainbow better than the mahogany?  does it work better? I have always liked the looks of the red stone--especially when it has some black mixed in.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2017, 06:12:40 am »
Jeff I like the rainbow obsidian better because it just seem a bit stronger and really holds a nice flake together. It seems like my Mahogany has more weaker spots that crumble and step. Seems like I can get the rainbow sharper to.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise