Author Topic: Maximum arrow weight for hunting ?  (Read 4531 times)

Offline Strelets

Maximum arrow weight for hunting ?
« on: August 01, 2017, 04:53:39 am »
Hello. Perhaps some of you with practical hunting experience can help me in a research project. I have been collecting data on medieval hunting arrowheads found in southern England. Some of these heads are very large and heavy, up to 5" long and 3" across the barbs and weighing 500 grains or more. I estimate that the complete arrows would often have weighed well over 1000 grains, and would have needed a strong bow (and archer) to shoot them effectively. 

My question is "What is the maximum weight of arrows that you have used successfully in hunting?". I know that "10 grains per pound" is a much used formula, but do any of you go much higher than that?  I have used arrows up to 14 grains per pound on 3D targets, but at that weight the range is limited to about 20 yards for me to have much chance of a good hit. 

Regards,
Dave J.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Maximum arrow weight for hunting ?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2017, 07:01:19 am »
I've used 650-700gr hunting arrows from my 56#@26" bow. As long as you know the trajectory of your arrow and your target is at a reasonable hunting distance(20yds or less) there should be no problem.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2017, 07:15:52 pm »
I have used arrows 1000 grains plus out of my 60# osage bow,, at close range hog hunting,,
I like a lighter quicker arrow for most applications,, but did experiment with the heavier arrows,,
500 grains for deer,,

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2017, 06:41:55 am »
I prefer 525-550 grains for hunting deer, turkey and small game. I've made some cane shafts with mahogany footings that weighed near 700 grains. I didn't care for the trajectory or performance. The bow sure was quiet though.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline loon

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2017, 02:45:22 pm »
may want to look into bow designs with higher energy storage. Some people here are happy with 130fps for hunting... i think even 150-160fps shouldn't be too hard at say, 15-14gpp
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 06:35:26 pm by loon »

Offline Strelets

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2017, 10:51:16 am »
Gentlemen, thank you for your replies.

If I have got the attachments to work here are a couple of photographs of the kind of arrowhead that I was talking about. Both are now in Salisbury Museum.  The best preserved specimen now weighs 410 grains, and the one missing a barb now weighs 526 grains (probably a lot more originally). If fitted with 29" long 3/8" ash shafts, I estimate that the weights of the complete arrows would have been 1000 to 1200 grains. If 14 grains per pound is taken as the maximum practical weight, this would imply a minimum of about 70 to 85 lb for the bows.
Regards,
Dave J.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2017, 02:31:07 pm »
Are those for hunting animals or people? I would have guessed war bow arrows, but it would only be a guess. For hunting deer I use from 575 to 600 grains but no where near that wide. A narrow arrow penetrates better than a wide. Just have to put them in the right spot and get good penetration. For a thin skin human those would be nasty. If they didn't kill you from good placement you'd probably die from infection. Just my totally uninformed guess. Interesting points there. Thanks for sharing.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2017, 03:04:00 pm »
that seems about right,,
but a heavier bow would work as well,, (AT)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2017, 03:27:33 am »
525 to 575 is what I try and set up for deer at 50+@26 and I feel pretty sure they would kill most any critter you were hunting. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Strelets

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2017, 12:05:49 pm »
They were definitely for hunting animals, especially red deer (Cervus elaphus) and fallow deer (Dama dama). The head shown in the lower photo' was found at Clarendon Palace, in the middle of what was England's largest royal deer park. Ten arrowheads were found there, six being very wide barbed broadheads, two forked heads and two bodkins. Similarly, finds made at Woodstock (another royal deer park) consist mostly of very wide barbed broadheads. Excavations at Faccombe Netherton (a medieval manor complex) showed a lot of deer bones and associated wide broadheads (one embedded in the skull of a fallow deer). In contrast at military sites (for example Ludgershall Castle) the arrowheads are mostly much narrower. 

It seems that in medieval England they favoured very wide heads for shooting deer, but much narrower ones for shooting people.

These big heads would certainly work better with bows much heavier than 70 or 85 lb, but I was trying to establish a minimum draw weight.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2017, 05:34:20 pm »
Very interesting Strelets, I would have guessed just the opposite at least for people without armor. Should get a good blood trail.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2017, 06:34:00 pm »
I would just be guessing,, but since I shoot 140 grain head,, and have killed a large buffalo with one,, I know a smaller head is effective on all size game,,
ok that being said,, to shoot a 400 grain head,, would take a pretty stiff spine arrow,,
and on a heavy bow,, wow where would you get a shaft to work for that,,
so I would guess that the head and shaft gonna weigh 1500 grains, just guessing,,
I would say a 80# bow would handle that at deer killing range,,  (SH)