Author Topic: Oak trees  (Read 2354 times)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Oak trees
« on: August 19, 2017, 08:19:21 pm »
Looks like despite the dry hot summer here in southern Iowa the oaks are holding a good amount of nuts.Have to watch that to take advantage of it when deer season starts.It's a timely thing here.They eat em up pretty fast.They've been my only food plot source for the last few years besides red clover too.The younger trees I planted back in 2001 are beginning to bear a fair amount of nuts now too.They do have honey locust pods/corn/hedge balls too but those oak nuts they seem to go crazy for.
Gotta get 2 more stands put up too.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Oak trees
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2017, 10:54:30 pm »
Ed, are those sawtooth oaks? They are the only oaks I know that produce so young. Our white oaks take 75 years from seed to acorn.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2017, 11:43:26 pm »
Actually they are bur oaks mostly.Some red oaks and white oaks too,but not all are showing nut production.The deer still goes nuts over the bur oak nuts.
BowEd
Ed

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2017, 08:45:16 pm »
I planted some Oak from the FSA office this spring. They really grew nice this year, I had 100% Survive the summer. I'm really not sure what type, my brother picked them up. We have been picking up acorns from a few places for about the past 4 years and planting them. Hard to tell how many of those made it yet, but with all the dead ash there's lots of room for new trees.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2017, 10:22:40 pm »
Good for you and your property BJ.You won't regret it.It's the gift that keeps on giving.
BowEd
Ed

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2017, 05:37:20 am »
Good for you and your property BJ.You won't regret it.It's the gift that keeps on giving.
Ed you are so right about that. I started planting trees in 1984. I've planted trees almost every spring since. At first it doesn't seem like they will ever grow big enough to enjoy, but then they reach that point where they just take off. I'm really enjoying hunting from trees I planted, not to mention all the joy I get from them just being there.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2017, 01:57:49 pm »
Put a couple of apple trees in the mix and you'll have some very happy deer! :-D :NN
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry