Author Topic: looking for snakeskins... kinda  (Read 3029 times)

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
looking for snakeskins... kinda
« on: August 07, 2017, 11:58:05 am »
Well... I'm actually looking for hi-res pictures of snake skins. I've convinced the owner of the graphics company that I work for to let me start printing artificial snake skin bow backings. I'm attempting to start compiling a reference library to work from. I really want some diversity so I can offer multiple patterns instead of having every backing being identical. All species welcome. It may take a few emails back and forth before I figure out the best way to get the image that works best. My first instinct tells me that multiple close up images(6" of the skin or so) taken down the entire length of the skin would be best. I could then make a panoramic image that would be fairly high resolution.
Anyone who would like to contribute photos can email me or shoot me a pm. If we get a printable image from your photos, I'll mail you one or two of the backings when they're printable.
If you have plenty of skins but lack photography skills, skins could be mailed to me for the photo shoot and returned along with the printed graphic of that skin. Turn around should be a week or so.

Thanks guys. With a little effort this may turn out to be a unique and useful project.
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: looking for snakeskins... kinda
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2017, 02:37:42 pm »
Dakota would pictures from my IPhone be adequate? My daughter in law has a really nice camera but if I don't have to buy her I'd rather not.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2017, 03:45:53 pm »
I think you can get on 3 Rivers website and snatch the fake skin pics from them. That might be perfect for what you're looking for.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2017, 06:00:16 pm »
Hey BJ,

We can certainly give it a try. It should give me a usable image, provided you have a steady hand. I can work miracles with photo editing software as long as the original pic is in focus.

Pearlie,
I've seen those actually and they would be good if I were just looking to make one for myself. Unfortunately if I were to want to sell them, I think who ever makes those might be upset at me using their image. Plus, I was hoping to have various samples from different species so the graphics wouldn't be identical. 
~Terrance McKenna

Online Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2017, 10:49:48 pm »
Google snake patterns and see what comes up.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2017, 11:50:04 pm »
There were a few suitable google images, Pat,  but unfortunately most of those aren't free to use commercially either. The company I work for has a subscription to shutterstock and even their snake skin library wasn't quite right for bow backings. Lots of fashion style patterns and no copperheads, coral snakes, or king snakes.

I have a set of rattlers that I traded for some time ago. I should be printing those tomorrow. I'll post the results just to get some feedback.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2017, 05:45:42 am »
I could probably take some pictures of black rat snake, broad banded water snake, eastern diamondback, hognose, copperhead, and coral snake.  Maybe some more.  I'll have to check.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2017, 09:45:25 am »
Would closure of live animals work? I've got 5 pythons with different colors and patterns. 4 royals of different morphs and a borneo short tail. Those interest you at all? If so I'll see what I can do with my iPhone camera

Kyle

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2017, 10:29:21 pm »
Thanks Clint, that would be spectacular. You can use the email button under my screen name. If I don't respond, it means I didn't get it, so PM me instead.

Kyle, I'd be more than willing to give it a try if you're willing to send the pics. Thanks bud.

Work got a little busy so my personal projects are on hold for a day or two.  I guess the rattler skin test will have to wait.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2017, 06:18:04 pm »
I have rat snakes, copperheads, timber rattles, and Australian tiger snakes. Those interest ya?

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2017, 08:59:39 pm »
Absolutely!!   Feel free to send pics to my email as soon as you take them.

Thanks Gut.
~Terrance McKenna