Author Topic: Not to handy on I.d.  (Read 1992 times)

Offline Iowahedge

Not to handy on I.d.
« on: August 07, 2017, 05:30:56 pm »

Girl friend says its a box bush. I dont know myself. Has some long pretty straight shoots was wondering if it worth letting them get a bit bigger before i prune it. Or if it not worth the wraith of her waiting for them to get a bit bigger. 

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
Re: Not to handy on I.d.
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2017, 06:03:37 pm »
I don't think I know that one.

Maybe cut one now and dry it. It might not be thick enough for an arrow, but it should give you some indication of the properties of the wood. Then decide whether it's worth irking the girl friend by giving them another season.
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline Iowahedge

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2017, 09:40:59 pm »
Yeah there fairly skinny right now. Think ill drag my feet for a while longer and see of they gain any diameter

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2017, 10:42:10 pm »
Don't know "box bush", but it looks like the leaves are alternating 90 degrees, each node, what color flowers if any?  Might be a dogwood.  3/8 inch minimum, they don't grow well. After they're cut >:D!
If it has white flowers, and white pith, probably red osier dogwood, tan pith other than white flowers, probably other dogwood.  But I am no expert on dendrology, changed majors before I got that far ;D!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2017, 10:43:33 pm »
Looks like mock orange to me. Philadelphus coronarius. Cut a shoot with side branches and see if it has a pith center. They usually bloom with a white flower earlier in the season.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC