Author Topic: Braided String  (Read 5648 times)

Offline gfugal

Re: Braided String
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2017, 06:34:10 pm »
Does anyone know what B-50 and D97 are made of? And what their modulous of elasticity?
Greg,
No risk, no gain. Expand the mold and try new things.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2017, 06:46:46 pm »
Happy Birthday, Hawkdancer.
I got to see some of those really good bands and performers.
I'm 69.
B 50 is dacron.
Jawge
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 07:29:01 am by George Tsoukalas »
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline PatM

« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2017, 08:02:31 pm »
Does anyone know what B-50 and D97 are made of? And what their modulous of elasticity?

D97 is also Dyneema. Your fishing line is basically the same thing although it is braided itself.

B-50  Dacron is the brand name for a type of Polyester.

Offline gfugal

« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2017, 11:41:16 pm »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyethylene_terephthalate yeah so the dacron is a type of polyester. It's got a Modulus of elasticity of about 3 Gpa. That's a lot smaller than the 100 plus Gpa of Dyneema. https://www.matbase.com/material-categories/natural-and-synthetic-polymers/polymer-fibers/synthetic-fibers/material-properties-of-dyneema.html#properties

Yeah, so I think I'll get me some D97 next time. Where do you find it?
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 11:19:57 am by gfugal »
Greg,

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2017, 06:47:47 am »
I use D97 Flemish twist and try to have no more than 3 twist per inch , that same number of twist also works very well with B 50, very little stretch, if you twist the a bunch to start or to adjust length it becomes a coil spring and really make a difference in arm slap and bow efficiency for me, also noise.  ;) Happy birthday Hawkdancer !!! and it wasn't over my head either Jawges. ;) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline gfugal

« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2017, 11:33:30 am »
So my brother is an engineer, and he said that the loops in an endless loop string aren't necessarily weaker than the main length of the string. We even did a test with string where we broke several strings that weren't served and they broke in other places and not the loop. That really surprised me. as soon as we closed the loop with serving though it would break where the angle changed. So yes the loop is a weak spot but not because it appears to have half the material, but because closing the loop with serving causes an angle change with changes the forces. Therefore if you make your endless loop based on the main section strength and not the loop strength then you shouldn't have any extra mass, you would actually reduce mass. Therefore I think I've come to the conclusion that endless loop would be the best method if you're going for optimal performance as long as you keep it waxed and avoid snags. But depending on your purpose Flemish twist or other methods would do perfectly fine, especially if you are using an extremely stiff material like Dyneema. Also, Flemish twist will always have its place in natural plant fibers since you can't splice in threads of shorter length to make a longer string with an endless loop.
Greg,