Author Topic: What Bow string ?  (Read 2903 times)

Offline gfugal

Re: What Bow string ?
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2017, 08:02:33 pm »
Never heard 6 times the draw weight before. Apparently, it says 4 times the draw weight in TBB2. I asked my physics teacher and he said 1.5-2 times the draw weight should hold, but if it got any nick or imperfection it would break. I've done 3 times the draw weight and shot several hundred shots without it breaking. I would say, yes if you want your string to never break 6 times would be good. If you want to maximize performance by reducing weight but also risk breaking, 4 or even 3 would be better.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 08:05:58 pm by gfugal »
Greg,
No risk, no gain. Expand the mold and try new things.

Offline LittleBen

« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2017, 10:09:28 pm »
2x draw weight, maybe on a flight bow.

On a hunting bow, 100% reliability trumps maximum FPS any day in my book.

Anyway, to chime in, I've used b-50, but I prefer the fast flight type materials. I use BCY8125, but for no other reason than I got a good deal. I'm sure all the fast flight materials are excellent. The main problem with b-50 is the stretch makes tillering a lot more difficult IMO. with fast flight it's no problem to low brace a bow and have the brace height precisely maintained. B-50 just stretches and stretches.

mikekeswick

« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2017, 01:08:40 am »
Not if you take the stretch out....;) A piece of folded over leather and some elbow grease :)
Dyneema is the best though.

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2017, 05:46:51 am »
I read of a test somebody did with a scale on the string to test the tension inder brace and the drae cycle. Something it showed, was that the bows that were consistently faster than the others were putting about 2x the draw weight as string tension. Then while drawn the tension would drop until about half draw, the. Start picking up again but doesn't quite reah the same tension as brace.
So to comfortably brace the bow you need 2X minimun, but then there is the shock and momentum of going through the draw cycle. I think I've always done a conservative 4x. By that I mean that I use a lower than tru breaking strength when I figure how many strands are needed. With dynema, only a couple of strands are needed, but is just nowhere neat thick enough to get the job done properly.

Kyle