Author Topic: Guns, guns and more guns  (Read 25677 times)

Offline BrianS

Re: Guns, guns and more guns
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2017, 06:59:14 am »
All good points Kevin. In today's World, most ink on paper Magazines are having a very hard time of it. Trust me I know as I was employed in the Printing Industry for 35 years before I got laid off for lack of work. If Primitive Archer Magazine goes under, it will not be replaced. Once it is gone, it's gone forever. I am hopeful that the magazine finds it way and stays afloat.

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2017, 11:58:59 am »
All good points Kevin. In today's World, most ink on paper Magazines are having a very hard time of it. Trust me I know as I was employed in the Printing Industry for 35 years before I got laid off for lack of work. If Primitive Archer Magazine goes under, it will not be replaced. Once it is gone, it's gone forever. I am hopeful that the magazine finds it way and stays afloat.
That is truly well said BrianS. I agree that it is very unlikely to be replaced if it goes away and if it goes away so does this forum. Someone may start up another forum but it's unlikely to be as good as this one. I'm really hoping PA can still be the magazine we have been so excited to get. I really do encourage anyone who is passionate about a Archery or Primitive topic to try writing a article. In my humble opinion I think fur and rawhide processing articles and products made from them would be well received. I also feel antique tools and stone tool articles would be a good addition. I have some ideas I'm going to try to follow up on. I'm a little to busy right now, but I've got some more stuff rolling around in my head. I'm willing to be patient with PA in the hopes of better days for everyone. I really do think if we want this type of magazine around we had better find a way to keep this one.
       I do understand Pearl and share his and the others concerns about this past issue. It did feel very much like a muzzle loader magazine and I know Pearl is more interested in loaders than I am. I think Kevin said it well, we need balance and Primitive Archery is the girl we all want to go out with. We might look at some other girls, but this one is ours.
       I know PA has some good articles coming up. I know some people that have told me they were writing articles and they still have two of the favorites of mine yet also. They may not have been written by professional writers, but they where written by passionate writers. I think if we all work together we can do truly great things.

Let's make this work
Sincerely
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2017, 06:11:44 am »
I just skim over what I don't care about and read the rest, it has always been that way with me and PA.
there is always enough to fill my needs. As for not getting paid, I have never had a problem with that, of course you do know you don't get paid until just before the issue that it is in is coming out. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2017, 11:52:32 pm »
I will add my  opinion as a relatively new subscriber--I am not particularly interested in muzzle-loaders except as a hand craft--that is the process of making one like Eric Krewson's buildalong a while back.  If you must include them to keep  the magazine alive, then so be it, but keep it limited, and probably limited to flint locks and truly primitive style firearms, not cartridge based. Consider how many subscribers you know you are losing to format changes against how many you think you might gain.  Why would a muzzle loader fan even find a primitive archery magazine?  I saw this happen with my other hobby -- model airplane building and flying.  If you open one of the R/C magazines I used to love and subscribe to today, you will see nothing but quadcopter drones and pre-built Chinese foam garbage--not the hand-crafted works of flying art I really enjoy.  When I discovered the PA website and the craftsmanship of so many of its members, I have shifted most of my attention here, because it replaces that passion that I used to see in the model building community.  If this site and its magazine shift away from that core value to the give-it-to-me-now, instant-gratification kind of mentality I see everywhere else, then I don't know what I will do, but I would likely be looking elsewhere for what really matters about this community.

Just something for the editors to consider.  Thanks for creating this site.  I hope it stays true to its roots.