Author Topic: Preparing and preserving deer sinew  (Read 1399 times)

Offline Jedi45

Preparing and preserving deer sinew
« on: September 01, 2017, 11:24:51 pm »
Hey guys! I'm getting ready to build my first bow and one of my neighbors has some deer sinew  available for me to use. I won't be ready to use it for probably a few weeks to maybe even a couple months (since I hear it will take several attempts before making a good stave)  and I'm wondering how to store it and prepare it for use later. Any thoughts?

Offline Stick Bender

Re: Preparing and preserving deer sinew
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2017, 03:19:14 am »
Your question is a little general , don't know if you mean it's in tendon ,back strap form etc. I have only worked with white tail rear leg tendons,elk,moose but in dry form you can store it in 35%_50% RH with out issue I store open top container but don't have pet or bug issues to worry about if in tendon form I use a anvil or any solid flat hard surface & a ball pin hammer to beat the outer layer (like a husk ) tell it's soft enough to pull off leaving you a white inner tendon that I gently hammer more tell some what pliable & use 2 sets of pliers to pull apart turning it into even threads it's time consuming but not difficult I prefer elk tendons as you get more bang for your buck but have made 2 bows with dear rear leg tendon , I would not recommend a sinew bow as your first bow attempt as sinew bows are a art on there own with there own set of learning curve , good luck with your first bow !
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2017, 07:40:59 am »
If the sinew is dry you can store it in a plastic bag until you are ready to use.
 I'd suggest that you build a few bows first before attempting a sinew backed bow.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Jedi45

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2017, 11:40:42 am »
Thank you! The sinew will be in tendon form. It is from  buck they just got a couple days ago. I was planning on making a few bows first thats why I was asking about storing the sinew. I didnt know how well it kept. Sorry for the vaugness, its hard to specific when your cluless as I am.  ;D