Author Topic: Osage ring density  (Read 2412 times)

Offline Stick Bender

Osage ring density
« on: September 02, 2017, 05:48:20 am »
I'm working on chasing a ring on what seems like a nice stave I got out of Mo. The early/late ratio seem fair this one is only off the stump 1 yr but I noticed this is one of the easiest ring chase I have ever done the early wood comes of real easy in the past some staves feel like your peeling off epoxy I'm wondering if any thing can be inferred about the wood quality because of the ease, as this stave is going to be under heavy stress as a short self bow , the early wood is slightly thicker then I normally like maybe that plays a roll ? I have other higher quality staves but wanted to test a design on this one !
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Osage ring density
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2017, 07:38:03 am »
Looks like a good stave to me. There are different densities in osage but generally you can tell by the physical weight of the stave.
If you are concerned about this being a shorter bow then use it for a longer bow and find a better one for the shorter bow.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2017, 07:38:40 am »
I was given some Osage from Va several years ago that came from a dead tree.  The wood was noticeably softer than Osage I was used to working but it sure was elastic wood, wish I had more of it
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2017, 08:42:34 am »
This is the second stave I used out of this Mo. Hedge it just seems so different from the Il. Or Ind hedge that it's a hard call but my gut is telling not to trust it for a self bow at least a short one but 57 in. is all I have on it , I think I will go sinew on this one , I look at these staves on the wall thinking about what bow is in them ,but you never know what you got tell you chase a ring ! This wood has more of a green huge to it then others it's hard to see in the pic but defiantly there !

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2017, 08:47:02 am »
How old is that stave?  I've noticed chasing a ring feels different on staves that are pretty old compared to one that is only a couple years old.  Judging by the way it looks I would trust it.  Can you cut a small sliver piece off one end and do a bend test?
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2017, 09:31:04 am »
Clint this one was cut last September , I don't have enough length to make a test peace maybe I'm paranoid I had one bow blow last winter out of this stuff for no detectable reason so I'm pretty cautious with it plus this one is short & going to be stretched far but have good width 1 7/8 in. But if you think it's good I trust your Hedge Head...lol

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2017, 09:50:47 am »
I'm with Clint on this one.Old hedge ring chasing can seem pretty tough or just plain hard stuff.Even though it's been a year off the stump I'd let that roughed out bow acclimate to the inside at 50% humidity.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2017, 10:03:43 am »
Ok thanks fellas  this one will give me a good reason to built a real hot box maybe put it in there for a bit and bring it back in ,I'm in no hurry on this one not much time this time of year any way but would like to get it ruffed out this week end & let it set for a bit !

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2017, 02:54:40 pm »
Looks like a really nice stave to me. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2017, 03:35:21 pm »
Thanks George I chased that down today and I think Im going to let it set for another year and pulled down this Indiana stave I got from Clint about 20 months ago its been chased and inside for over a year its a no question asked kind of stave

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2017, 03:35:56 pm »
Top view

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2017, 04:24:02 pm »
That's a beauty!!!
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2017, 06:11:03 pm »
Sure is! Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2017, 08:12:41 pm »
you can send that piece to me and let it cure in the high desert,,, (W

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2017, 08:25:56 pm »
I would Brad but this one wouldn't be challenging enough for you no knots & to smooth of back  -C-