Author Topic: The Elusive Northern Water Snake  (Read 2658 times)

Offline upstatenybowyer

The Elusive Northern Water Snake
« on: August 12, 2017, 09:01:40 pm »
There are only a few snakes around here that get long enough to back a bow and the Northern Water Snake is by far the most plentiful. As luck would have it, a friend of mine has a very large pond that's teeming with them. She said she'd love if I could remove a few.

Long story short... NWS 200, Upstate 0. Those things are impossible to catch! They're fast as lightning and completely invisible once they're in the water. If you guys could see a video of me trying to snag one of them you'd split your sides with laughter.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated!  :D
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline osage outlaw

Re: The Elusive Northern Water Snake
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2017, 09:16:09 pm »
They can be very aggressive.  The meanest snake I've ever caught was a water snake.  I use a fishing pole to snag them out of the bushes at my in-laws lake property.   The snakes climb up to sun themselves.   A 2' water snake on a hook is quite the site.   I ease the hook under the belly and then give it  yank.  My little niece watched me catch some.  I saved the skins and put them on a bow for her. 
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 08:56:14 am by osage outlaw »
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2017, 08:40:47 am »
Thanks OO. Not sure I can get a pole under one cause these guys sun themselves while laying on the ground in tall grass and vegetation. I'll let you know if I have any success.  )F(
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline JonW

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2017, 08:52:04 pm »
I catch them in a minnow trap baited with a crawdad.

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2017, 10:25:17 pm »
I catch them in a minnow trap baited with a crawdad.

How long does the minnow trap have to be?

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2017, 07:38:04 am »
There's a video of a couple of boys catching snakes by water using a bamboo tube yhats plugged in one end and the open end is guarded by a plasic bottle that has been slit to make a fringed skirt that yhe fringes are pointed inward like fingers. You could do similar with any pipe and bottle for a fringe thatll help keep them from getting out so quick. Throw a minnow or two in the pup to bait it, or cut fish. Put yhe pipe by the water with the mouth just out of the water. Then mud in the pipe so it doesn't move on you. And you have yourself a snake trap. A 3' section of 2" pipe would probably do it. A snake can fit in a surprisingly small area. My 4' 5 pound ball python curls up in a 6 quart shoe box with a little room to spare.

Kyle

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2017, 01:08:58 pm »
Have you considered a bow with a blunt arrow?
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2017, 09:14:33 pm »
Mo, thanks for the ideas. I think trapping them may be the way to go.

Marc, now that would be primitive indeed!  )P( I think I may just try that.  (SH)

Nigerian Proverb

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2017, 07:56:41 pm »
I actually got one on the end of my fishing pole today and the thing went buck-nutty.  :o He managed to unhook himself and went flying back into the water.  >:(

After that I set a minnow trap w/ some crawdads in it so we'll see what happens. (-P

Nigerian Proverb

Offline JonW

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2017, 05:28:57 pm »
I have had good success with the minnow trap. Bonus is they drown and you don't have a live snake on your hands. Literally!  :o

Offline Zuma

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2017, 10:16:25 pm »
A pair of welder's gloves if your scared to snatch em bare handed.
Shoot them in the head with .22 rat shot if all else fails
Zuma
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 10:21:20 pm by Zuma »
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2017, 03:16:37 pm »
Victory!

Caught using a fishing pole. Thanks for the tip OO  ;)

Still got high hopes for the minnow trap as well

Nigerian Proverb

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2017, 03:37:28 pm »
Nice job.  Did it go wile when you hooked it?
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2017, 09:13:18 pm »
Yes indeed. I was ready though, again thanks to your heads up. Now I owe Pearly for the catfish and you for the snake.  :)

Nigerian Proverb