Author Topic: Anastasis "resurrection"  (Read 5082 times)

Offline NorthHeart

Anastasis "resurrection"
« on: August 15, 2017, 10:24:48 am »
Id like to jump right in and introduce myself.  My name is Shelton and this is my go-to bow i call Anastasis...which means "resurrection".  The name was given because when i started this bow (and bowmaking in general) i was ending one era of life and beginning a new path, one based on following my heart.  It has accompanied me spiritually and physically, and like myself, started its life in TX and has migrated to CO, WY, and beyond.  In 2015, the year of its birth, this bow granted me my first and second primitive bow kills- a whitetail buck and a whitetail doe. 2016 found me unsucessful in the field, but leaps and bounds further on my personal path.  I enhanced shot consistency by switching from shooting off the knuckle to adding a leather shelf.  2017 began sucessfully with two hog kills, and this year ill be hunting Mule deer here in the mountains of WY.  Figured it was time for another evolution, decorating the back.

A few months ago i did the ancestry DNA test and learned of my heritage which traces back to Scandinavia. I thought it would be appropriate to include something that reaches back to that era on the rawhide backing of my self-made hunting bow. The ancient language i chose is Elder Futhark and translates to "power of my ancestors bestowed upon me". The wolf icon is dedicated to the spirit of the hunt. and the "helm of terror" diagram represents the violent history of the bow and arrow. From a hunting perspective the symbols also act as natural camouflage, breaking up the silhouette of the bow. With only 2 weeks left before deer season im confident that this predator is ready for the pursuit. Thanks to John Riggs, Weylin Olive, and Wylden Freeborne for providing inspiration and direction with the translation.

Now that you know a bit about myself and my bow, here are the specs.  Wood is Osage with rawhide back.  Leather shelf and stitched leather grip.  Reflexed tips.  58" NTN. 56# @ 26".

Offline NorthHeart

Re: Anastasis "resurrection"
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2017, 10:25:50 am »
more pics.

Offline NorthHeart

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2017, 10:27:02 am »
more pics.

Offline Steve Milbocker

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2017, 11:50:25 am »
Your journey has landed you in a beautiful place. May the rest of it be full of adventure and and full of all the beauty this world has to offer! Oh by the way...nice bow ;D
I'm no where near as smart as my phone!

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2017, 12:18:22 pm »
Welcome to the PA.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2017, 12:49:36 pm »
Welcome to PA. Enjoy the journey wherever it takes you. Looks like the horses are ready to go. Congratulations on your successful Hunts and best wishes for more in your future.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Mad Max

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2017, 01:32:10 pm »
Nice bow and a great story
Good luck on your hunt
I would rather fail trying to do something above my means, Than to succeed at something beneath my means.

Offline ntvbowyer1969

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2017, 01:40:11 pm »
Love the bow and the artwork. Keep up the great work and welcome aboard!!!

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2017, 02:10:06 pm »
Welcome to PA. Beautiful bow. Anastasie (not sure about the phonetic spelling) is a Greek word. Have you studied the Greek language? Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2017, 02:19:12 pm »
Nice work :)
Good to have you on board.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline ksnow

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2017, 02:24:00 pm »
Welcome to the PA community. Nice bow, nice decoration.

Kyle

Offline Stixnstones

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2017, 04:52:58 pm »
Welcome to PA, great story and cool bow
DevilsBeachSelfbows

Offline selfbow joe

• 1-812-344-1590
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2017, 06:12:34 pm »
Welcome to the PA. Nice looking bow

Offline Weylin

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2017, 06:50:52 pm »
hey Shelton, welcome to PA. That bow turned out awesome and you did great job with the runes. I've seen Shelton at work in Carson's shop and he's a heck of a bowyer. We will be seeing more great bows from him in the future, I'm sure.

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2017, 07:55:24 pm »
Welcome aboard! 25% of my ancestry is Icelandic, which the largest percentage of the mix, so I've thought about using runes on my bows as well. Now I know how good they can look, so thank you.  :)

Very nice bow indeed (SH)
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb