Author Topic: I think i have a problem?  (Read 3721 times)

Offline Orebear

I think i have a problem?
« on: August 16, 2017, 03:29:55 pm »
Hello all,
Im fairly new to primitive archery (6 or so months) but not new to archery. When im shooting it seems to be fairly easy to get dialed in and get decent groups at 20 yards ( at least for me) of about 6 inches. Im thrilled with my grouping and excited for hunting. Almost any arrow will hit where i want it but i can never get bare shafts to tune. As soon as i just say forget it and fletch an arrow it will hit its mark just not always with perfect flight. Ive tried multiple tip weights arrow spines and lengths. The only reason i think i have a problem is the lack of bareshaft flight and some noise from arrows hitting the strike plate (sometimes but not all). Maybe a release issue? Or am i just over thinking things? Should i not worry abojt bareshaft flight for now and just be happy with good fletched groups?
Thanks for any input in advance.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: I think i have a problem?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2017, 04:21:39 pm »
Bare shaft tuning is to get your arrows to fly well. If you're hitting where you look, sounds like your arrows are flying well already. I've shot for over 30 years and never bare shaft tune arrows.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2017, 04:44:11 pm »
yes overthinking a bit,,
sounds like you need just a bit more work on your release and hold on the bow,,
self bows can be a bit sensative to your form,,
tell me what your weight and draw is,, and I can tell you an arrow that should work for you,, sometimes wood bows do not go by a chart,, (-S

if you are getting perfect flight on some shots,, that tells you that the bow can do that,, its up to you to repeat that,, :)

Offline Orebear

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2017, 05:52:07 pm »
 The bow is 55lb at 27in. Im pulling right at or just under 26.

Offline aaron

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2017, 08:10:17 pm »
how wide is the handle? are you shooting wood arrows?
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Offline Orebear

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2017, 08:46:13 am »
 Yes im shooting wood. my handle is1 1/8 thick where the arrow passes with no cut out and a small shelf attached. I have tried spines from 40lbs - 55lbs at lots of lengths. It seems like the only consistent thing is me. Leads me to beleive it must be my form/release. What could i be doing to cause the arrow to clank agains the strike plate?

Offline willie

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2017, 12:13:56 pm »
Bare shaft testing is, in theory, a good idea as feathers can "correct" less than optimum flight. Bareshaft testing also presumes that the arrow being shot canl fly well without feathers, which is not always the case.

A couple of questions

What range are you bareshaft testing at?
What  accuracy are you hoping to attain with your primitive set up?

as for the arrow hitting the strike plate, can you shoot with some sort of different release and make the problem go away? ie, isolate the clanking to a form issue with the release hand?

Offline Orebear

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2017, 03:00:10 pm »
Im pretty pleased with my accuracy over all. Really dont care about bareshaft tining right now. About all im hoping to figure out is why im getting so much contact with the strike plate making it clank. Ive tried different release techniques, spine and tip weight combos, strike plate thickness and materials as well as nock fit and nock height. Even shot without a glove to rule that out. Seems to all come down to my inexperienced form i presume. Maybe im expecting the bow to be whisper silent. Can any of you hear your arrows making a little clank at the shot?

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2017, 05:48:59 pm »
ok,, 50 55 cut to 29 or 30,,, if it was me I would cut them to 30 and then trim them if needed,,( dont worry about the arrow being to long just worry about the flight)
if the bow is really set up right,, ( not too much handle to shoot around)
then the noise is your release or brace height,,
should be about 5 1/2 or 6 inches,,

50 55 should shoot great at that length,, and you can cut them shorter to shoot stiffer,, but I dont think you will need to,,

keep in mind that if you are holding long,, you will strart to stiffen up and and its hard to get a smooth release,,
I am not saying snap shoot,, but draw the bow with a loose grip,, and when you have it hitting anchor,, let it go,,
if it shoots quite,, then you can gradually work up to holding the bow longer if you want,, and get a good release,,
for me,, drawing hitting anchor for a split second and releasing gives me the smoothest release,,

yes I know some advise lighter spine arrows but for me,, what I suggested will work,, and even heavier spine arrows will shoot great if your release and hold is good,,

do not torque the string, (twisting the string one way and the bow the other,, they have to line up)

usually what happens to me as I get used to how the bow shoots,, the release gets better and better on its own,, just takes alot of practice,,, being relaxed with your bow hand and release is hard to do,,,,,

and yes when I do my part the bow is wisper quite,,

« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 06:03:35 pm by bradsmith2010 »

Offline Orebear

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2017, 06:02:48 pm »
Thanks and ill give it a shot. I do sometimes think im holding too long. Didnt really think that could be the problem but it makes sense. I appreciate the advice.

Offline willie

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2017, 10:06:25 pm »
have you tried putting the upper limb down and shoot off your knuckle? sometimes the bow like the arrow on the other side.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2017, 11:55:25 am »
hows your shooting going,,???

Offline stickbowbeard

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2017, 11:32:54 am »
Maybe I missed this, but did you try adjusting the brace height?  I had an arrow clanking the sideplate on my current shooter, until I increased the brace height.  Now it's quiet as a whisper.

Offline TSA

• www.trueshaftarchery.com
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2017, 11:22:09 pm »
as has been mentioned above, the shaft, after release should not touch your strike plate again at all( bar for the first 2 or 3 inches behind the point). so something may be awry if you are getting strikes.
 i have included two videos here- the one is the best video i have ever seen depicting paradox- it shows what a well tuned setup should look like- the clearnce is quite substantial- until i watched this video, i thought quite differently on the subject.
the second video is  bare shaft tuning explained really well- the key is to start really close- otherwise, if using wooden shafts , you will break shafts. i know you said that you werent keen on doing it- but may just be worth a look  :D
good luck mate
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96KGWC0PB6s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGOPiriLbcM