Author Topic: bow building table/ workbench  (Read 7352 times)

Offline freke

bow building table/ workbench
« on: August 16, 2017, 03:40:33 pm »
Hi,
Have been whiteout of a good work place for awhile but I am now building myself a small work shop whit necessary facilities like coffee boiler, a small refrigerator for beer, glue and lack and it will be warm (not freezing in the winter). What I don't have is a carving table/workbench. The issue for me is that it will be a small work shop so I would not have much place for anything big and I will design and build it to fit my location likely attached to one wall with the tiller wall just above it.

I need inspiration, So I was thinking if some have some nice advice or picture of yours tables and why its good it would be nice?

Thanks,
Jonas

Offline ksnow

Re: bow building table/ workbench
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2017, 04:56:04 pm »
Hi,
I have used a couple different setups.  A vice mounted to a solid bench works well.  I have also used two different shavehorses.
This one is very portable, as the legs pull out and the two pieces fold flat together.  You have to anchor the bottom well. Both pieces are 6 feet (2 meters) long, so you need about 9 feet of floor to be comfortable.

This one is very stable, but not as portable.  I have since added a tiller tree to the back, that stands vertically behind the seat. It takes up about the same amount of room as the above horse, but it does not break down.

I hope you find something that works well for you.

Kyle

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2017, 05:15:31 pm »
This one is very portable, as the legs pull out and the two pieces fold flat together.  You have to anchor the bottom well. Both pieces are 6 feet (2 meters) long, so you need about 9 feet of floor to be comfortable.

Kyle

Am intrigued every time I see this pic.
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline ksnow

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2017, 05:24:35 pm »
Just make one.  I hemmed and hawed for months, then bit the bullet.  While it is not the best I have ever used, it allows me a ton of freedom.  I've worked in the garage, out in the yard, up at the gun club, anywhere I can anchor the bottom.
One change I am going to make is to put belt leather straps on the ropes to hold the stave.  When the bow gets smaller and smoother, it seems to slip just a bit. But, there's usually not that much force at that stage, so it isn't a huge problem at all.
Overall I am very happy with it, and the cost was pretty minimal.

Kyle

Offline freke

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2017, 12:47:45 am »
I think the first picture of simpel portabel horse is what I'm looking for:). I will build one for sure, I think the rope tightening system is clever, I often especially summer time work outside in the great outdoor, so a portable is perfect.

I was also thinking about a work bench with a wise, not building too much in depth but solid enough holding the bow for shaping with steam or heat.