Author Topic: Bow draw weight and practicing form  (Read 2493 times)

Offline DC

Bow draw weight and practicing form
« on: August 17, 2017, 06:25:02 pm »
I've been thinking of making a lighter bow to practice with to try to get form consistency. I normally shoot a 40-43# bow. If I make a bow about 35# should I shoot it exclusively until I'm happier with my form and then go back to the heavier bow or should I shoot both so my bod doesn't get used to the lighter bow? 

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Bow draw weight and practicing form
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2017, 07:17:53 pm »
Unless you'll be hunting this fall it probably doesn't matter. If you're hunting I wouldn't change this late in the season.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2017, 07:49:26 pm »
I usually shoot both,,
as it gets closer to season, I shoot the weight I am going to hunt with exclusively,,
I have heard working with a lighter bow is good,, but I find just shooting the bow I am going to hunt with works well too,, so I am a bit confused on that one,, and not sure what to recommend, (R

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2017, 10:52:13 pm »
You fight(hunt) like you train.  I would hesitate to drop the draw down, unless I was recovering from an injury.  If your state has a minimum draw weight for hunting, that would be the lowest I would go.
I'm sure the more experienced archers and hunters can give a better opinion, but even after having both shoulders and hands worked on, I stayed with the minimum hunting weight, and I am getting better on form, sort of.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline DC

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2017, 11:45:48 pm »
I'm not a hunter so that doesn't enter into it.

Offline willie

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2017, 12:58:36 am »
sound like an idea worth trying. if your arrows for the lighter bow are corresponding lighter so they could shoot to the same elevation, that would be a plus. the only thing that I would try to do, would be to shoot with the same draw and hold  timing, so you would not be trying to shoot 2 different ways and have to switch styles when you switch bows, but that is just me. Not feeling sore after a session at the range might make  shooting more fun and last longer

Offline DC

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2017, 02:45:14 pm »
I'm mostly(at the moment) trying to nail down my anchor. With the heavier bow I can't hold long enough(without getting the shakes) to really decide where my anchor is so that I can duplicate it next time.

Offline ajbruggink

• Aaron Bruggink, Oostburg, WI, USA
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2017, 04:49:26 pm »
What I would do is switch to the lighter bow and just practice getting good form. Once you master it at the lighter weight you can work back up to the heavier bow.