Author Topic: finish on bow question  (Read 785 times)

Offline ntvbowyer1969

finish on bow question
« on: August 19, 2017, 11:02:48 am »
Hello everyone! I have one of my hunting bows that is osage with a silk backing. I used a poly (Helmsman) spray on the bow when first finished. After hunting with it a couple years it has become chipped and banged up. Since the back is silk backing I was afraid to try and scrape the old poly off. Just to make sure it is sealed good for weather can you use truoil over the poly? I use truoil for all my bows now and wasn't sure if it would work over the poly. Or should I just get more poly to do another coat over the back? I don't like how long the scent of poly takes to go away after application esp. so close to season. I also don't like how the color of poly gets a yellow tint to it after awhile. Any thoughts? thx everyone

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: finish on bow question
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2017, 11:10:33 am »
Tru Oil is compatible with most poly finishes. I use satin poly over Tru-Oil to cut the shine on hunting bows.
 I'd do a light sanding, smoothing the chipped areas then coat the bow with a few coats of Tru-Oil.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline ntvbowyer1969

Re: finish on bow question
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2017, 11:17:32 am »
Thx Pat B....