Author Topic: First time backing a bow, tips please.  (Read 1881 times)

Offline Ryan Jacob

First time backing a bow, tips please.
« on: August 14, 2017, 06:06:41 am »
SO...
   I have a problem. I have this sapling stave roughed out BUT it is only 1 1/4 inches wide, has really thin growth rings (though being tamarind, it's still very heavy), is only 57 inches long ttt, may have some dings in it, and some knots. I'm smart enough to know that I need to back this. I don't have any access to proper modern glue so, hide/ fish glue it is. How do I make the glue and should I use rawhide or sinew? rawhide is available in truvalue but sinew is cheap in the Chinese grocery and the butcher's. Any suggestions?

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: First time backing a bow, tips please.
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2017, 07:32:41 am »
Doing a search on the how-to-build-a-long or primitive skills thread might help you for making hide or sinew glue.U-Tube has a number of videos too.
If you have a true value hardware store like you said they might have tite bond 3 glue also.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Wooden Spring

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2017, 07:38:31 am »
You said: "I don't have any access to proper modern glue"

Forgive me, but, you have access to the internet, but you don't have access to Titebond 3? I'm confused...
"Everything that moves shall be food for you..." Genesis 9:3

Offline Ryan Jacob

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2017, 08:45:48 am »
The TruValue here in the Philippines doesn't stock titebond 1,2,3 or any goo epoxys. Sorry about the confusing part their, I meant easy access to glues. I'm only 13 so shipping is a no-go. I'll heck out the build along threads though I do wish I had more access to bow making glues. Would hide glue work well in a high humidity country?

Offline hoosierf

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2017, 09:14:20 am »
I'd make the decision like this. If you are at your draw weight use rawhide. If you want a little more performance, 4 to 6 lbs draw weight, then use sinew. Rawhide is easier for the first go at backing.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2017, 11:05:49 am »
Hide glue works great with rawhide or sinew. That's all I use for both anymore.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2017, 12:10:38 pm »
Here is a post where I got help making my first batch of sinew glue.  It's pretty much the same process for rawhide glue.  Photobucket is holding the picture hostage but it still has some good information that might help you.  When I make my next batch of glue I'm going to take new pictures and post them.

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php?topic=30740.0
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline RAU

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2017, 12:13:52 pm »
How bout knox gelatin? ive sinewed several with it. Cheap easy and strong!!

mikekeswick

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2017, 12:54:15 pm »
How bout knox gelatin? ive sinewed several with it. Cheap easy and strong!!

It's the same stuff essentially. They are all collagen glues. Commercial gelatine just gels faster than home made glues. Hide glue is faster gelling than sinew. Slower gelling glues are erasier to work with if you haven't got much experience with them.
The key to making good glue is not letting the temperature get over 65 - 70 degs celcius. Higher heat will still give you glue but it will be weaker.

Offline Ryan Jacob

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2017, 07:44:48 am »
I've set the stave aside until I get better at making bows, right now, I'll stick to my bigger staves. Thanks for the replies. ;D

Offline Ryan Jacob

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2017, 07:47:16 am »
For both the bow and the glue, I'll work on it when I have time. School's getting in the way right now >:(