Author Topic: I should know this but...wrist getting slapped every shot with new bow..  (Read 2567 times)

Offline Rcdeer

• Old School..selfbows an flintlocks
hello ! I guess I already sorta asked but...(hang on..be patient...)  jus bought a newly made osage longbow, no arrow rest.....after I got home  I looked and the string lines down the left side of bow (left off center) and I'm a lefty so...I figured turn bow upside down..well...it shoots pretty good!  but it whacks my wrist every shot...brace height is about 5 3/4""  I've increased it from 5 1/4",  it was that when strung...says on bow 55# at 28" 5 1/4" brace.......bow is 67" 63"string  really hate to twist string anymore,,and really not sure about arrow rest/hand placement...now hand isabout centered on center of bow...arrow rests about 2"above bow center... any ideas? this sorta stings abit!  thanks !!! RC
A Promise Made is a Debt Unpaid
..Upstate N.Y.

Offline bradsmith2010

I wear a arm guard,, most my bows will hit me,, (SH)
did nt say how far you drawing it,
if you drawing say 26,, probably ok to set it at 6ish,,

Offline Rcdeer

Thanks  but I do wear an arm guard...still not liking getting whacked everytime  lol.. jus that none of my other bows did this an it don't seem right,,,an hate to have it during deer season...with more clothes on.. draw prolly 26+  hopin i was doin somethin wrong so i could fix it..sorta taken a likin to this bow...
never could find an answer about where arrow shelf would be located compared to center string  or center of bow...thought maybe related to gettin slapped on wrist..
..Upstate N.Y.

Offline bradsmith2010

well,, hmmm
I would say hold with a looser grip,, and raise the brace height,,

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Your bow arm might b too stiff. Bend at the elbow a little and see if that helps.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
If the string is off set to the shooting side they will whack you worse than if they are right down the center, if it was mine I would tweak the tip over so the string is down the middle. Some like them to shooting side and say it makes tem more forgiving on arrow spine, but I prefer to have them down the center and tune arrows accordingly. I usually set the brace at about 6, also if it is a b50 string and really twisted up to raise brace it is like a coil spring and will slap the wrist when shooting. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Badger

I agree with Pappy, for hunting bows I like them best down the center. I set up flight bows to sometimes be 1/2" to the left of center and the string kills me but I get cleaner releases with light arrows.

Offline Rcdeer

thanks guys!  not sure what kind of string this is...came with bow, i'd guess made by bowmaker..as for string center  have to really look tomorrow at it...dang thing shoots great  but whacks good too! it maybe right of center a bit..it was way left before i turned it over...jus hope i have hand it right place an arrow nocked right,,,thanks!
..Upstate N.Y.

Offline Rcdeer

well...from what  I can see.... I,because it's osage,and a lil wavy..string is off center and turning bow upside down just changed it to off right, which I'd guess better cause arrow would shoot right instead of straight,,and string is twisted pretty good so going to get new fast flight string see if that'll help..  thank you guys!
..Upstate N.Y.