Author Topic: Packing up  (Read 4094 times)

Offline Little John

Packing up
« on: August 20, 2017, 08:41:46 pm »
Time to head to the hills, time flys. For the first time in 3-4 years I am having no shoulder or elbow pain or tendon issues and am shooting fair. Work is real slow so should be able to spend quite a bit of time in the hills. Will be going solo backpack for cow or bull elk in s.w. Colorado. Will be carrying a beautifully crafted rawhide backed osage bow (Elkie) by our own Pat Brennan, going to miss ya Pat but just know you are with me in spirit. The freezers still have lots of elk meat for at least another season but can't miss out on this hunt. High country hunt for the first weekend at least then the canyon land / farm raiding desert elk here close to the house. Also have a private property only cow elk tag (any legal means) that is good for the whole month of September that is in addition to the archery tag. Anxious for the camping and time in the woods.      Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline Hawkdancer

Re: Packing up
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2017, 10:17:29 pm »
What area are you hunting?  I will be hunting 2nd season in area 13 by Steamboat Springs for cow, will probably carry my .58 flintlock for part of it, and the long private land doe season in area 20.  My plan is to hunt with a bow during the archery season dates, and muzzleloader depending on terrain the rest of the time.  A couple of the places I can hunt, a short shot is 250 yards, and no cover to sneak through.  Got to set up some broad heads, though.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2017, 11:26:01 pm »
Good luck, Kenneth. I'll be dreaming of the SW Colorado high country. Are you heading back to Salt Creek? Keep us posted. Elkie need some blooding.  :OK
 Big hug for Kathy.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Little John

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2017, 01:23:37 am »
Hawk- will be hunting areas 72 and 74 in south west colo. I will be using a 1906 vintage Winchester saddle carbine in 38 55 cal  for the rifle part of the hunt, pretty primitive compared to a modern rifle, 75 yards will be a long shot. And of course the majority of the hunt will be with Pat's primitive osage bow (Elkie) he gifted me after our wilderness hunt in 2006.

Pat - I have been shooting Elkie quite a bit lately. Still beautiful and has lost nothing to age. It will be an honor to hunt with her. Thanks. Kathie is good, give Marcia a hug for me too.
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2017, 05:42:07 am »
Good Luck Little John, glad your shoulders and tendons are healed up. Happy Hunting
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2017, 06:29:34 am »
Good hunting Kenneth, hope you have some luck and enjoy you time in the high country. Great seeing you post, keep us updated. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2017, 08:21:00 pm »
Goodluck Brother! Lookin forword to more stories of the adventures of Elkie 👍(still my favorite PA article ever 😄).... Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline Little John

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2017, 09:43:09 am »
Thanks Bjrogg, Pappy, and Brian. I am sure this will be Elkies Year if I can only do my part. Pat, I was planning to go into Salt Creek for the first few days of the season but now have figured out where a good sized herd has been hanging out in the canyons and raiding a friends crops by night. He says there are several good bulls in the bunch and that he needs to saddle up a horse and go run them out, I suggested that I could take over that job  starting Saturday morning. Pretty good for only 4 crow flying miles from the house and a one mile hike in. This is the same area where I shot over a big bulls back at about 15 yards with Elkie a few years ago. Too flat of a cast, or maybe I did not pick a spot, or maybe a bit of buck fever? A real Elkie spot except that when they leave you never know where they are at or when they will be back.     L.O.L.           Kenneth

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2017, 11:00:57 am »
Are there any live trees left in Salt Creek or did the pine beetles get them all? When I was there in 2010 they were pretty devastated.
 Being closer to home will insure a full belly and a good night sleep. You'll need both to be able to haul that bull out.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Little John

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2017, 12:36:58 pm »
I don't know if the trees are still dying but I know that all the pack trails are in bad need of being sawed out and you would need to be very careful as to where you put a camp as a dead tree might blow down on top of the tent while you were sleeping. By hunting close to home I can go out in the evening then spend the night in an ultra lite camp and listen for elk in the pre dawn darkness to know where to head off to. Then after the morning hunt be back at the house and be at least somewhat productive till time to hunt again. Also can hunt different areas each day with out much trouble. Not committed to one area.       Cheers

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2017, 01:48:36 pm »
Wish I was there with you in body and not just spirit.  :(

Offline Little John

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2017, 03:09:11 pm »
There is still time to get here, saddle up that Honda and drive on out, it will be much easier hunting than we have had before. Gas is cheap and you are probably like me and don't have too much pressing to have to do.

Offline Little John

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2017, 03:10:43 pm »
Oh and bring Marcia. She and Kathie can have a blast

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2017, 09:06:08 pm »
Good Luck! chasing those elk.

I'll be heading out to Colorado on the 7th and staying to the end, 24th. Moon phase is right for some serious activity this year. We have one muzzy tag in our party of three (not me). We'll be jumping around from Vail to Steamboat.
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline Little John

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2017, 09:45:06 pm »
Good NC sounds like you have a lot of time and also a lot of hills to hunt. I love it when it all comes together. Keep us posted and good luck.         Kenneth