Author Topic: This a problem or not?  (Read 2447 times)

cool_98_555

This a problem or not?
« on: August 22, 2017, 12:58:03 pm »
So I just finished another osage bow about a week ago.  I put many, many arrows through it with no issues at all.  Looks great, feels great, everything.  But out of the blue, after I unstrung the bow before leaving the range, I saw this crack on the bottom fade.  What the heck?  All of a sudden like that, and after so many arrows?  I don't get it.  Tiller is just fine and bow shoots and feels great.  I don't want to patch this up, but maybe I can just rasp it away and redo the finish in that spot?  Not sure....have a look and see what you think.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: This a problem or not?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2017, 01:26:10 pm »
That crack was there since you heated it up and reflexed it. Your finish filled it in and made it even more unnoticeable. After a bunch of shots the finish seal cracked and made it easily visible. That being said, I wouldn't worry about it or touch it. Enjoy your bow.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline DC

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2017, 01:28:11 pm »
That's a shame! Could we have a sideways view of that fade?

cool_98_555

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2017, 01:41:16 pm »
Really Pearl?  I didn't notice that crack at all at any point in making the bow....before, during, or after the heat treating.  You think it was almost invisible to the point where I didn't know it was there?  I mean I shot so many arrows through this bow before I finished it to make sure without a doubt that it wouldn't have any issues, and after shooting it in finished form it just decides to show up?  If you're right and it isn't something to worry about that's a relief.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2017, 01:44:44 pm »
Put super glue in it, let it dry and seal over it. Looks like a delamination along the early wood.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2017, 01:48:03 pm »
I cant guarantee that is exactly what happened, but it looks that way to me. The only other way I have seen a crack like that happen is after a dry fire and the limbs slammed home unloaded.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2017, 02:04:39 pm »
I've noticed you like heavy bows. How heavy of arrows are you shooting? It's possible they aren't quite enough weight to take the force and the repetitive shock is building up right there as a delam. Sort of building off what pearl said.

Kyle

cool_98_555

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2017, 02:08:52 pm »
Yea I do love the heavy bows :)   This one's 80# and i'm shooting around 650grains.

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2017, 02:15:02 pm »
I bet those arrows are getting there quick. I wouldn't think that arrow weight would cause ony problems. But it's possible there's not enough mass there to take the energy of the limbs, so they are trying to keep carrying forward after the arrow leaves. But I don't see that being an issue in this case since yhats a bit over 8gr per pound.

Kyle

cool_98_555

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2017, 02:22:53 pm »
Yea see?  I just don't get it.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2017, 02:39:35 pm »
It happens if you build a few. Shoot it and be happy.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2017, 02:40:54 pm »
Not sure but what Pearl said happens , I would fill with glue as Pat said and carry on, shouldn't be a problem at all. Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2017, 03:16:22 pm »
I've never had a crack there. I would super glue it and wrap it with serving thread set it in epoxy.
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

cool_98_555

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2017, 03:32:30 pm »
I've never had a crack there either, and usually it happens BEFORE I put the finish on the bow.  It boggles my mind as well.

Offline PatM

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2017, 03:57:42 pm »
Almost certainly a heat treating "delam" of the early wood as noted already.