Author Topic: Cane/bamboo sources  (Read 2787 times)

Offline BarredOwl

Cane/bamboo sources
« on: August 22, 2017, 06:09:11 pm »
I live in southeast Kansas.  I know I've seen river cane in northwest Arkansas before is that likely my closest source for river cane or any other kind of arrow worthy bamboo?

Offline Iowahedge

Re: Cane/bamboo sources
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2017, 07:49:55 am »
If your not looking to gather your own and want to get started i bought tomato stakes and the heat gun from a very common super center. Walked out of the store ready to straighted shafts. Had to hit a couple up to get enough what i thought were good ones but got lots of diameters and spines(used two nails and 2lb weight and measured some know spined arrows) for not a crazy amount of money. There pretty hardy I'm a crappy shot and have various unintended targets and they havent broken.

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2017, 04:57:02 pm »
I found 500 3/8" diameter bamboo stakes on amazon for $65 plus shipping. Not all of them were arrow worthy, but it was still quite a good deal.
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline BarredOwl

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2017, 02:58:35 pm »
I think I'm going to purchase a big bundle of bamboo at some point but I want to gather some rivercane myself for a completely self sourced set up.  This hobby is great isn't it! 

Offline BarredOwl

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2017, 03:07:07 pm »
I guess what I'm thinking is if anyone knows of some Japanese arrow bamboo growing wild within striking distance I'd go for that over rivercane to meet my objective of personally hand gathered materials. 

Offline NorthHeart

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2017, 10:08:12 pm »
I must say its not very "do-it-yourselfy"...but, Ebay has weight and spine matched shafts from China very cheap and very high quality, ground down almost as narrow as some carbon shafts and self nocked.  I paid $36 shipped for 12...i would hunt with these any day.

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2017, 01:00:08 pm »
I must say its not very "do-it-yourselfy"...but, Ebay has weight and spine matched shafts from China very cheap and very high quality, ground down almost as narrow as some carbon shafts and self nocked.  I paid $36 shipped for 12...i would hunt with these any day.
Sounds like you got some Tonkin bamboo shafts.  I also really enjoy the performance and durability of these shafts.

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2017, 01:03:22 pm »
I live in southeast Kansas.  I know I've seen river cane in northwest Arkansas before is that likely my closest source for river cane or any other kind of arrow worthy bamboo?
More than likely, you're just gonna have to do your homework and get out there and find some. Then seek out who you need to speak to to see if you can cut some. Then be sure to mark the coordinates and send them to me  ;) 
Best of luck to you.