Author Topic: Put a handle on it  (Read 2626 times)

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Put a handle on it
« on: August 25, 2017, 12:59:37 pm »
Well I was looking long and hard at a nice spike horn antler. In the end I decided to use a piece of cholla that Jeb gave me. Thanks Jeb. It had a little knob of a branch coming off and I toyed with putting two buttons on. I decided to cut through the Y and make a larger oval shaped button. For my button I used Mulberry and Black Walnut. I glued it on with a little JB weld. Not very Primitive but effective. I filed and sanded cholla down to fit my grip good and halvted blade on with pine pitch. Wiped on a English Walnut and a couple coats of tru oil.
I think it turned out 👌
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: Put a handle on it
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2017, 01:02:12 pm »
Two more

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2017, 04:42:57 pm »
Bj, real nice, I always like the look that cholla  produces. Bob

Offline selfbow joe

• 1-812-344-1590
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2017, 07:07:19 pm »
The handle looks good. Nice job

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2017, 08:22:46 pm »
BJ that turned out beautiful.

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2017, 08:38:22 pm »
Thanks Outbackbob48, it's the first time I ever used it. My brother made a couple with it.
Thanks Joe
Thanks Trapper Rob I'm pretty happy with it.
Bjrogg

Offline Zuma

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2017, 09:16:29 pm »
Outstanding choice. Jeb makes it happen for a bunch of us but he seems to be partial to Mishiganites.
LOL You have really amped up your game BJ.
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline JEB

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2017, 10:03:53 pm »
Don,  I still have plenty of cholla. You want one to use for a handle? That would make you an honorary Michigander, lol  PM me an address.

Good looking knife all the way around Brian. I like the looks of cholla for a handle also.

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2017, 06:02:25 am »
Yup Zuma, Jeb and his wife are top shelf Michiganders. I have enjoyed every minute I've spent with them. Your not so bad yourself, looking forward to meeting you someday to. I'm still trying to figure out how I can get to Flint Ridge, but the odds don't look so good this year. I'm still working on it though. Got my fingers crossed, but it's hard to knap like that.

Jeb thanks again for everything. I showed the knife to my wife and she said "that looks like one of those mushrooms" I'd have to agree with her it would look good with a pile of Morels. Hope everyone is healthy.  Bless You All
Bjrogg

Offline JEB

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2017, 05:45:48 pm »
Thanks Brian, you need a few more cholla sticks.  I won;t make Ridge this year either. My son and I drew a Bear permit and will be in the U.P. trying to coax them in.  Chris is doing well and thanks for asking.

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2017, 06:38:07 pm »
     That's all fantastic news Jeb. Except the part about not making to the Ridge. I was trying to get my buddy to go to the Ridge. I know he'd love it. He actually just made a trade with me for that knife I just put a handle on. I made him a bow to for another trade. He's really working hard at it. I think he's got a pretty good chance for a successful hunt. I still need to set him up with one stone point, a good one with matching target arrow.
         He was helping me setup a tree stand and give the deer a little traffic detour to nudge  them where I want them to go. I practiced shooting from my stand and he moved my target to different spots. Was great to have his help and company. If your lurking out there thanks DJ.
Bjrogg

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2017, 10:42:34 pm »
Real nice job on the knife!  A big batch of morels and fresh venison steak would look good along with it - maybe colcannon and a blueberry cobbler ala mode -C- >:D!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline PNewton

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2017, 05:18:57 am »
Nice looking knife BJ.

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2017, 05:39:21 am »
Hawkdancer, all that stuff sounds good even without the knife.
Pnewton, thanks my best shooting buddy came over yesterday. We've both been busy and haven't gotten together for about a month maybe a little more. I sent him pictures of that Knife. When he saw it yesterday it was like that add on TV. "He just had to have it". Would have liked to been there when he surprised his wife with it. She just loves all this stuff. They're big game of throne fans, I've never watched it, don't get it. He's always talking about dragon glass. Now his wife has a dragon glass knife.
Bjrogg

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2017, 12:14:38 pm »
That's a very good job BJ