Author Topic: Target arrows  (Read 2286 times)

Offline DC

Target arrows
« on: August 28, 2017, 11:42:38 am »
I've almost exclusively made arrows from bamboo with 100-125gr points. They usually weigh in the 400gr +-50 range with about 40# spine. Since all my bows are in the 40-45# range they shoot pretty well. Over the last couple of years I've accumulated quite a bunch of lower spine shafts that are just sitting in the corner. It finally occurred to me that if I use a lighter point these may be stiff enough and also be a much lighter arrow. I made a couple, one with a 50gr point and one with an Ocean Spray foreshaft and no point. I figured the OS would be heavy enough by itself. They seemed to bareshaft nicely but after I fletched them they seemed to hit all over the place from 20yds. The balance point is about an inch forward of center. Is there something else I should be doing? These are target only but maybe some flight arrow tech might be in order?

Offline willie

Re: Target arrows
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2017, 03:27:32 pm »
hmmm

feathers or plastic vanes?

Offline DC

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2017, 04:44:16 pm »
Feathers of course ;) ;) ;)  I just measured the balance point on some old arrows(ones that work) and it's about 4" forward of center. The new ones are about 1". I think that's my problem. It's funny that they bare shafted OK though.

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2017, 04:54:58 pm »
Adding the weight of the fletchings and glue/wrappings would move your center toward the rear. I can't say that's the issue for sure, but it might be a factor.
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline DC

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2017, 07:42:40 pm »
All the dimensions I gave were fletched, tipped, RTS(ready to shoot)

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2017, 09:13:37 pm »
I think it's your weight forward of center DC or in this case lack there of. More weight forward really helps move the steering point forward giving your fletching a much easier job of straightening out your arrows flight.
If you have extra length you could try shortening your shafts and stay with the 100 or 125 grain points. This would help with your weight FOC.and stiffen your actual spine.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2017, 09:59:25 pm »
My comment about the added weight was in reference to the fact that they shot better for you bare shaft. The balance would have been more FOC on the bare shaft arrow I would think.
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline DC

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2017, 10:38:39 am »
My comment about the added weight was in reference to the fact that they shot better for you bare shaft. The balance would have been more FOC on the bare shaft arrow I would think.

You may be right, good point.