Author Topic: Lumber recomendations for heavy arrows?  (Read 2336 times)

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

Lumber recomendations for heavy arrows?
« on: August 29, 2017, 07:51:19 pm »
I'm looking for recommendations for different lumbers that'll get me the arrow weights that I'm looking for. The set up I've got is for turning out 3/8" shaft and plan on getting some help making a compression block to take it down to 23/64". But I'm looking to get that's that will come in around 600-800gr with the bare Shafts, that way I can have appropriate weight arrows for the 70#+ draw weight bows. The woods I can think of thatll work are: hickory, hard maple, and ash. Are there any others you all can think of that will hit this weight realm. Our local menards stocks hickory and hard maple, but it's uncommon to find trully straight grain. I may end up sticking with those woods and keep an eye out for good boards.

Thanks,
Kyle

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
Re: Lumber recomendations for heavy arrows?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2017, 08:51:45 pm »
I had some tight ringed doug fir that came in right at the low end of your desired range. I've never tried black cherry but it should be in that range and possibly some fruit woods (apple, pear, plum). If you have access to hazelnut shoots those also might be worth a shot.

If you get desperate I have some ash square stock left I probably won't be needing, maybe a 1/2 dozen or more. Ash doesn't like to stay straight though, but these were fairly straight to begin with. Shoot me a pm if you can't find any good boards in time.
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2017, 09:07:45 pm »
I have a few cherry arrows I made a year ago. They can out at 600gr for a finished arrow, but I did taper them from 3/8" tip down to a 5/16" nock. So there's some weight loss. And tht flew perfect out of most of my 45-55# bows. It seemed to have a fairly low spine for its weight. Though was probably about right. i have some mahogany arrows that made a finished arrow at 625-650gr. And they are working perfectly for my 70# bow. So I'm in no big hurry. Once I either break or lose all these im thinking about trying something a big more heavy and work on building up my draw weight. I need to play with this weight for a few months before bumping up draw weight anyway.

I didn't think about the fruit woods. i just got to thinking. I've got some black locust staves that if be willing to sacrifices for arrows since I have quite a few of yhem and will probably fell and split another tree well before I use up this stash. Think it would give a good heavy shaft? And I've got several straight black Cherry staves I might turn into arrows if this next chilly bow doesn't hold together. If so we have LOTS of black locust I can split up to make shafts. The shafts staying straight for long periods of time isn't too big of concern for me. If i only have to heat straighten them a few times a year, I'll be content.

Kyle

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2017, 08:02:10 pm »
Dogwoods would suit you for a higher spine and weight.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Strelets

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2017, 11:29:55 am »
Hello. 3/8" ash will give you the weight that you want and with spine suitable for bows about 65-100 lb . I find that it averages 20 grains per inch, but there is a variation of plus / minus 10% or more. It is very durable, I have used it for a few years now with only two or three breakages, all caused by hitting metal reinforcements in 3D targets.  It needs heat to straighten, but usually stays straight.  I have used POC, pine, spruce, birch and yellow poplar for arrows, but ash is definitely my favourite.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2017, 03:16:37 pm »
Hickory will give you very high physical weight and you should be able to get good spine weights with it.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline archeryrob

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2017, 07:12:09 am »
Ash shafts and you can find arrow stock already cut
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing, or you're just doing it wrong."

Offline TimBo

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2017, 09:29:11 am »
Black locust should work well.  I have a dozen that are too heavy for me, but I can't remember how heavy - 600 grains at least though.  That is with self nocks and tapering.  Multiflora rose would be good too if you have thicker ones - I have a few of those in the garage too.