Author Topic: binding thread ?  (Read 2010 times)

Offline legend

binding thread ?
« on: August 31, 2017, 06:29:07 am »
Fairly new to bows / arrows / archery , but I am on to making my second bow now . I want to try and make some half decent arrows probably using Ash or lime shafts with self nocks . I am interested to know what are the best type of binding threads to use for the nocks and eventually some bone arrow heads I want to make ! Would artificial sinew be any good ?
Thanks

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: binding thread ?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2017, 06:35:45 am »
Artificial sinew does work but with the wax on it it doesn't accept glue as well as non-waxed thread.  Any strong, thin thread works. I've used silk with good results but sinew is my favorite.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2017, 06:54:40 am »
I like to use a heavier fly tying thread. It's very strong for its size and many ones is an oval shape so that it'll lay more flat. And it's on a perfect sized spool for using in a bobbin. This make it much easier when you want to bind down the fletching with thread instead of gluing them down. I've also just started using a pine pitch verdigris compound to glue down my fletchings and bindings. You paint on the warm mixture, let it cool, bind on your fletches, then reheat with steam. Melting the glue so that it flows over the feather quill and the binding. So far it's been working well.

Kyle

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2017, 06:57:43 am »
I use UV resistant outdoor thread from walmart.  It's very tough but small diameter.  It makes a very clean wrap.  I soak it 2x with superglue.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left