Author Topic: Rose shafts, drying time?  (Read 2881 times)

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

Rose shafts, drying time?
« on: September 30, 2017, 02:10:14 pm »
I've decided to start collecting multiflora rose for shaft material. I can thank Timbo for getting the thought in my head.  I spotted a bunch to collect later and decided to get two this morning. Next time I get out I'll have to pack my pruning shears. That stuff is hard to cut through cleanly with a knife. I may take a basket one day and spend time collecting a bunch of rose and hickory shoots for shaft material.

So how long does it need to dry before it's ready? And what sort of weight and spine should I expect for stuff in the 3/8" diameter area? I've got plenty of shaft material to use for now. But why not start adding more raw material.

Thanks,
Kyle

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Rose shafts, drying time?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2017, 04:12:55 pm »
I've only made a few rose arrows but what I'd do(I do this with everything, cane or hardwood shoots) bundle them together with rubber bands. I like rubber bands because as the shoots dry they shrink and the rubber bands keep the bundle tight. I think this helps to keep the shoots straight. I also make sure the shoots are all lined up straight in the bundle too to keep everything straight. I usually place them in our utility room next to the hot water heater for at least 2 months. Ideally, a year or more is better but usually 2 months will give you workable shoots.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2017, 04:18:01 pm »
I'll have to harvest some more to get a good bundle and get a pack of rubber bands. I've never harvested my own shaft material before. I've always either turned down boards into dowels or bought bamboo garbden stakes. It'll be nice to harvest my own. Combination of cutting cost a bit, mixed with a better feel of accomplishment once it's all done.

Kyle

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2017, 08:40:29 pm »
I've done a number of multi flora rose shafts.Good tough shafts!!!Don't see  many people using them and they should.They will dry down quicker then dogwoods but like Pat said at least 2 months minimum seasoning is needed.I'd leave the rhine on them for a good 2 weeks before removing it.They can check otherwise sometimes.Then scrape it off and let it season.They don't seem to warp much at all then if kept straightened while drying.With 125 grain field tips at 50- 55# spine @ 11/32" thick 30" long you can expect in the mass weights of 600 grain or more.You can wrap the nocks or glue an insert of a bamboo skewer into the pith hole.

BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2017, 02:25:55 pm »
Glad to know it's good material. And should be something good to keep me occupied in the dead of winter when it's too horrible to do anything outside.

I harvested a couple dozen pieces today and tied them in a bundle. Hopefully it'll heat straighten well. It's all got at least some curve and some small kinks to work out. But at least it shouldn't be much worse than straightening garden stake bamboo. In going to keep harvesting more as I have time until I feel like I have a good bunch of it.

Kyle

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2017, 03:25:22 pm »
Try to get the shoots lined up and you can hand straighten the bundle or each shaft individually while they dry. It will make less work later.
 Don't remove the bark on those rose shoots until they are dry or they will check.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2017, 10:58:47 pm »
Pat's right.No matter what type of shafts harvested for arrow shafts preliminary straightening and bundling while green without any need for heat will make less work for later and better shafts then too.Take a peek at the dogwoods thread.None of them have been heated yet.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed