Author Topic: TSA raffle drawing shafts.  (Read 9237 times)

Offline chamookman

Re: TSA raffle drawing shafts.
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2017, 02:21:41 am »
Are We not discussing  - Reed & Rift (sp) - of the the Arrows here  (SH) ?
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2017, 10:31:15 am »
I know even with shoot shafts the spine can register different at different rotations on the spiner.I may be wrong but I put what I think to be the stiffer side against the bow just like split timber shafts.I always write the spine weight on my shafts mid shaft visible when I notch the arrow onto the string.So I write the spine weight onto the underside of a shaft the way it's bending on my spine tester because that is the bend that's going around the handle.
In the video there is a slight bending the other way in the very beginning of the flight of the arrow.Not as pronounced as the one going around the handle though.I don't pay any attention to that then correct?
Here's a pic of my tester.It has a measuring dial indicator that can be zeroed out in the beginning to show the bend from the 2# weight being hung on it.26" width of pegs with a chart to reference the bend number on the face of the dial to actual spine weight the shaft has.Been using this tester for quite some time.Homemade/cost around 20.00/tested it against other archery shops testers and it's true to form along with the action my arrows show me.It's a good spine tester.TSA....I appreciate your willingness to inform us of good proper arrow work.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 07:36:27 pm by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline willie

« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2017, 12:22:50 pm »
 @2:04 in the video I linked to a few posts back, it seems like rotation is caused by the flexing, rather than the feathers.

I see the dart rotating a half turn when the flex is "going it's way" then the rotation stops when the dart flexs back the other way .... it starts and stops.      I am viewing with the frame rate slowed down to .25 speed with full resolution

seems like I see the same happening with the arrows in the the video that TSA linked to also

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2017, 02:43:41 pm »
I see.Then the bending is slowing the rotaion down and when the arrow shaft is straight it resumes spinning that short time it's straight during paradox.That's why it's herky jerky spinning in the beginning.
I know when I shoot my 5 degree helical mounted feathers that I can see with the naked eye my arrows start turning more so yet farther away as the shaft equalizes and stiffens up which tells me it's the wind and degree of twist the feathers have making it spin really.The greater degree the helical the faster and sooner the arrows will turn.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 12:32:41 pm by BowEd »
BowEd
Ed

Offline willie

« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2017, 03:19:16 pm »
That's the way I see it, Ed. when using helical fetching and deliberately creating a spin. The spinning helps to tame the oscillations and the arrow gets on target sooner.

when the fletching is not offset, (or no other factor like the "wing" of the feathers causes the arrow to spin) then the flexing oscillations causes a different kind of spin.
If I take a arrow or fishing rod tip, and bow it slightly by pressing down in the middle while one end rests at 45 degrees on a tabletop, and then try to rotate it, I can often feel the stiff side. If I then place the stiff side up and push down, the rod wants to rotate a half turn when it bends.

my thought is that an arrow that spines more equally in all quadrants might need less fletching or less offset to stabilize. and perhaps why the hexshafts are preferred by some.

« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 03:25:42 pm by willie »

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2017, 07:21:13 pm »
You may be right to your conclusions that more equally balanced spined shafts do bare shaft tune better and get by with less and straighter fletching.In the end less drag/less weight and a faster more efficient type shaft.I do know also at least with shoot shafts that the pith is not always dead center on those shafts which could account for the slight uneven spine.But now what I've seen also and many can attest to that an overall full length taper on shoot shafts do seem to be a lot more forgiving also for quick smooth clean arrow flight at least for target shooting and hunting.
BowEd
Ed

Offline TSA

• www.trueshaftarchery.com
« Reply #36 on: September 30, 2017, 12:05:36 am »
so the question is? will a hexshaft perform better within the parameters above- with the same spine in any direction.

what about the old sweetland shafts- that were compressed on the flatgrain side- also making for equal/ similar density all around the shaft.

its awesome to see people scratching the itch. lots of good ideas and observations above- great food for the beast ;D
thanks all for spending the time analyzing the videos and all the input- great feedback.- always something to learn, given me a lot to think about!